Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Does anyone one know where I can find a good usable video of the one at the link below? I am doing a PPV class and would like to use it as a what not to do video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTInZhv4ZyE

Views: 668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not at work but I have an excellent clip from FR1. It shows a PPV fan being started and left in the back door. The crew then takes their sweet a** time flaking the hose, getting tools, etc, before making entry. Meanwhile the flame is being fed and pushed out of the front window and into the soffits, where it extends into the attic. This cluster goes from a possible save to a complete looser (Good work men, we saved the foundation) in about 4 minutes. While being filmed by the home owner, no doubt.

This stuff is what gives PPV a bad name. Immediate, coordinated attack in conjunction with vertical or horizontal ventilation.

I’ll cut the URL from the clip and send it to you when I get in.
Thank you Larry, I would love to have that one too. Yup, that's what I hear, fireman who aren't sold on it use incorrectly, then cuss it when it does something like that.

Larry Lasich said:
I'm not at work but I have an excellent clip from FR1. It shows a PPV fan being started and left in the back door. The crew then takes their sweet a** time flaking the hose, getting tools, etc, before making entry. Meanwhile the flame is being fed and pushed out of the front window and into the soffits, where it extends into the attic. This cluster goes from a possible save to a complete looser (Good work men, we saved the foundation) in about 4 minutes. While being filmed by the home owner, no doubt.

This stuff is what gives PPV a bad name. Immediate, coordinated attack in conjunction with vertical or horizontal ventilation.

larry,
I would also like a copy.Thank you in advance.
Bob Costine
costine1999@yahoo.com

Larry Lasich said:

There is software available online so one can take youtube video and put it on a DVD. I bought a "Best Of" DVD from http://www.thebravestonline.com/

It has this video included.
I have used a software to download Youtube videos, but the problem is quality, especially if you have to blow it up at all.

I may try that best of video, especially if that one is definitely on it.
If you would rather want to show how to use PPV correctly you should look into the PPV research NIST did, DVD's are available for free!
I have the NIST videos, but they are only in high rises. The one I've gotten the most use out of is the wind driven fire video, both for showing what positive pressure does, and what can happen if not done right. The physics are the same.

Dave Stacy said:
If you would rather want to show how to use PPV correctly you should look into the PPV research NIST did, DVD's are available for free!
Even though it was 'PPV gone bad' that created the conditions that caused the fire attack crew to bail, it is of course much, much more than that. I use it to illustrate all the other reasons that may cause similar occurrences such as wind driven conditions, recognizing fast changing conditions, improper application of a fog nozzle, general ventilation discussion or the proper way to alert the attack crew to exit the building by yanking their hoseline out of their hands.

You’re right the wind-driven NIST DVD is good viewing.
NIOSH has a few videos on ppv and they are free through USFA education section.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service