- Fire Service Vehicle Operator
- EMT-B

My Goals This Year
- Fire Apparatus Engineer
- Instructor I
- Haz-Mat Ops.
- Start my Paramedic School
Topics you provide training for:
I help instruct for the Fox Valley Career Center which is sponsored through the Kaneland School District. I help teach Fire Science to high school aged individuals from 5 different school districts.
Areas of expertise:
These are my GOALS to train on more in 2009!

Pride, Ownership, Honor
Fire Behavior
Fire Control
Initial Scene Size-up
Ground Ladders
Rapid Intervention
Bio:
I'm a progressive and aggressive firefighter. I am VERY dedicated to my fire department. I train hard... my whole life is the fire service. I love to learn and love to teach when I can.

I started as a Firefighter/EMT in Illinois with the Kaneville Fire Protection District. I spent 5 hard earned years there. I made several achievements and found what I wanted to obtain in the fire service.

I moved away for a couple of months to Prince Georges County, Maryland to be a live in firefighter with Laurel Rescue Station 49. I had some amazing experiences there, but found out very quick that living in a firehouse wasn't for me. I overcame several challenges and learned more about myself as a person in the time I was there.

I have moved back to Illinois with a solid mindset of what my goals are how I plan to achieve them. I have rejoined with my department back home and ready to push forward with my education. I thank everyone who has supported me in the past and today... without you I am not sure where I'd be. I love the fire service with all my heart and moving away put into perspective how I ran from my goals, because I thought I couldn't achieve them or they were too hard.

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF-DTRT

One of my biggest inspirations is Chief Rick Lasky of the City of Lewisville Fire Department.

Rob Cannon's Photos

• Add Photos

Rob Cannon's Blog

My Big Move!

I make my big move to the east coast this Friday. I am really excited, but at the same time nervous to venture out of what I call "Home". I am moving to Prince Georges County, MD. Specifically as a "live-in" Firefighter/EMT with the Laurel Vol. Rescue Squad Company 49. It was a decision I decided to make a few months ago. I wanted to gain to experience and saw my chance. They run a Rescue-Engine, Squad, Ambulance and a Dive unit mostly volunteer. They run about 6,000 calls out of one station. I… Continue

Posted on January 29, 2009 at 2:00am — 2 Comments

Lost Generation...

Great short film! Just take a look at it.

When watching, think about some of the current "Bring Me Down" Leadership & Management.

Then, once it's over take the time to think about our current issues and perception?

Stay Safe - Be… Continue

Posted on January 26, 2009 at 2:00pm — 2 Comments

Midwest Freeze

To all the fellow brothers in the mid section,

Be careful tonight, we're in for 20 below zero temps with wind chills near 40 below tonight! Water freezes faster and our muscles tighten up exceptionally fast in this type of weather! Take it easy and do some stretches today to keep in shape. Call for manpower if needed!

Take Care and Stay Safe,
-Rob

Posted on January 15, 2009 at 12:30pm

Fellow Brothers...

I am writing this blog for all everyone to get to know who I am and what my experiences are and where I am going in the fire service. Feel free to message me any advice... I want to learn and never stop!

Well I am from Northern Illinois, born and raised. I grew up like many families, mom,dad and siblings. my mom knew I destined to for the fire service when I was 5 years old when we tookt he first trip to the fire station. I climbed on every piece asked every typical question a 5 yeat… Continue

Posted on January 12, 2009 at 8:29pm — 2 Comments

Comment Wall (18 comments)

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

At 6:11pm on May 25, 2009, Mike Walker said…
Thanks for leaving a comment on that hose load. Guys are still working with different aspects of it. Tweeking it here and there. If you don't have pistol grips on your nozzles, it can be placed on a cross lay. It works best with higher pressures (ie. fog nozzles 150 psi +) The problem with lower pressure applications is that the hose may kink as it uncoiles. With the high pressure applications, it works great. 50 ft. at the door, everytime. You can look on Youtube and find several close applications. Oh, if you have houses that set very close to the street, this load works fantastic.
At 12:22pm on April 26, 2009, Patrick Dooley said…
If you look at my site http://squadfirephotos.smugmug.com I have alot more pictures of Hartford, Ct's water tower.
At 10:02pm on April 23, 2009, Joe McClelland said…
I am teaching Coordinated Fire Attack at Fire College. Probably truck/engine and standpipe. South West corner of tower. Stop on by Brother.

Fill me in on the move back.
At 12:24pm on March 3, 2009, David Kovach said…
Rob, I hope you're doing well. Sounds like you've got a great opportunity and I hope you're able to make the most of it. Keep in touch and keep learning.
At 11:04am on January 21, 2009, Scott Thompson said…
Thanks for the add.....

Be Safe
At 2:03pm on January 20, 2009, Richard B. Gasaway, PhD said…
Rob,

Thank you for the kind works and for the gift of your time to listen to The Leader's Toolbox on Firehouse.com. I really enjoy the opportunity to share my thoughts with the emergency services community and feedback like yours inspires me to work even harder.

Richard B. Gasaway, PhD
www.RichGasaway.com
At 12:43pm on January 19, 2009, Joe McClelland said…
All day long.
At 12:33am on January 19, 2009, Bill Brierton said…
Look forward to meeting you as well Rob.
At 4:23pm on January 18, 2009, Tiger Schmittendorf said…
Thanks for the connection Rob -

Let me know if you want any help with those R&R issues you mentioned.

Stay safe. Train often.
At 5:38pm on January 16, 2009, Gary Rauch said…
Rob, I here ya, but keep the chin up. When you start the new job go back to the recruit days and LISTEN and see how its done there, only give your experiences when asked. They might do things totally different. BE SAFE Bro.

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service