Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

If you get the chance to attend the Pride and Ownership Class, DO IT. You will not be disappointed.

I attended the class in Washington State last year. One Brother "Got It" during the class. The class was at a Hotel in Yakima and during one of the breaks, he got curious about an event being set up in the next room. As it turns out, it was a wedding or reception, for a couple that were volunteers in a department in the area. The Brother who got it, at the end of the day, stood up and asked the room full of Chief Lasky's students to dig deep and took up a collection for the couple getting married. He didn't know them, in fact no one in the room knew them, but I don't think one student left the room without dropping in a couple bucks in the collection plate. It was an awesome way to end the class. Thanks Chief for "firing up" the fire service again.

Have you attended one of Chief Lasky's classes? How did it effect your attitude and behavior following the class? How was your attitude and behavior prior to the class? I left the class, had a couple hours to drive home and reflect. I was actually angry by the time I got home, at myself for losing the love for the job.

Views: 326

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks brother for your kind words. We all just need to keep pushing and good things will keep happening!!

Be safe buddy!

Rick
I have attended his class! At the women in the fire service conference in Arizona last year. I read his chapters years ago, and have lived by them since! We have often been asked where we get the traditions and ceremonies from? Why do we have dinner together before our training nights? All those things I learned long ago, from Chief Lasky. So, Rick, I still give out those chapters, one at a time, to my firefighters as they progress through the ranks. I just brought on 2 more career captains, and yes, they did get changing shirts chapter. Often people ask, how do I keep the faith, the energy, the obvious love for the job? I tell them I think every day, I have the best job in the world, and nothing, (politics, firehall gosip, ect..) can bring me down after that. So, don't ever lose that, always look in the mirror, at your uniform, and think about how you truly do have the best job in the world!
Leslie Pederson said:
I have attended his class! At the women in the fire service conference in Arizona last year. I read his chapters years ago, and have lived by them since! We have often been asked where we get the traditions and ceremonies from? Why do we have dinner together before our training nights? All those things I learned long ago, from Chief Lasky. So, Rick, I still give out those chapters, one at a time, to my firefighters as they progress through the ranks. I just brought on 2 more career captains, and yes, they did get changing shirts chapter. Often people ask, how do I keep the faith, the energy, the obvious love for the job? I tell them I think every day, I have the best job in the world, and nothing, (politics, firehall gosip, ect..) can bring me down after that. So, don't ever lose that, always look in the mirror, at your uniform, and think about how you truly do have the best job in the world!
Thanks Leslie. You're the best!!

Be safe,

Rick
I have not attended his class, but I am anxiously awaiting the opportunity. I agree with so much of what I have heard him say on line especially about "us" taking charge and teaching these dot commers to listen and learn. Every time I hold a training class for the newer guys, I start and finish with some history to hopefully instill some sort of connection between them and the past.

My husband and I attended the Pride and Ownership class at Cleveland Communty College in NC on Sat. Nov. 15. The previous night we had drove up to the college from our hometown Valdese, NC to pick up our registration and see where the class was going to be held. On the drive home it had been raining and the fog was thick. As we were driving a mini van come in front of us from a side street just nearly missing us then hit the bank head on. To make a long story short, my husband wheeled the truck around and put on his stobes and lights to warn oncoming traffic. I jumped and ran to the victims which were a woman 30 years old and her 8 year old son. She had bilateral tib-fib fractures. My husband called for help on his handheld walkie while I statred attending to the patients. Thankfully the child was uninjured. We c-spine immobilized the woman applied a c-collar and splinted both fratured legs having to use two sticks off the ground to splint one of them cause that was all we had. All of this before the first helped had arrived. The next day I sat in Chief Lasky's class. I was in total awe of him! Everything he said was exactly how I have felt about the fire service for so long. Chief Lasky reaffirmed my faith in the best profession in the world and made me realize that the good Lord had placed my husband and I at that accident the night before. I could feel tears come to my eyes as Chief Lasky's words weighed heavy on my heart! He is an inspiration to us all and has the most wonderful personality! I have a great deal of respect for this man! I am proud that the Lord has called me to be part of the fire service and I am proud of my husband for not only his calling as a firefighter but also for his calling as a Mason. He, too, is an amazing man! Thank you Chief Lasky for telling it like it is and instilling pride in the fire service! You have friends for life in us!!! Marnie and Doug Price, Valdese, NC
I have attended two of lasky's classes....1 in cocoa beach and one in St. Augustine...both were great!
I should have replied to this a long time ago but there is so much here on the community that we sometimes cant take it all in. I have had the honor of attending our distinguished brother's Pride and Ownership Class twice in the last few years and both have been right here in my own backyard of Alaska (thanks for braving the wilds of our home and coming up here too buddy). I like others have often been mad at myself for letting things around the fire service get under my skin and ruffle my feathers and my hat is off to the many people like Chief Lasky for saying what so many in the fire service have been unable to say but so often feel. Pride and Owenership has given our profession the much needed uplifting that for so long has been missing for many of us in our lives.

Let me say that for some, Chief Lasky's lecture is like a much needed breath of fresh air or a good massage! For other's it's a slap in the face or a rude awakening that is sometimes needed to get one's self back on track. For me it was certainly the much needed jump starts to remember that we have a lot to live for, pass down and remember in our love of this profession.

I want to add that no matter what or when or how, sometime in your fire service career you will hit a wall or walls! It's a fact of life in any profession and one's persanal life. For some of us it's living in Alaska where the wall for some is living with three hours of light in the winter. Some firefighters feel it's the feeling of the loss of brotherhood or tradition or something else pertaining to the job. We will always have highs and lows in this profession and how long they last and or who or what may help us handle and overcome them is up to that particular individual.

So when you pear at your wall in awe of it's height, overcome it or simply walk around it, remember you are never alone beacause the brotherhood is not one person or group, it's the fire service as a whole and part of a "BIGGER PICTURE" to serve the greater good!

Sister Marnie, you and brother Doug have a special place in many lives and it's an honor and a priviledge to know you both and Chief Lasky and so many others in our profession that truly bring out the "Love for the Job"!

KTF
I have attended several of his classes. I try to attend every chance I get. I always come away renewed. I use his book for my Intro to Fire class for the AAS degree program. My students watch his video on the first day of class. I challenge them that if they are not charged and ready to go right now, then I will help them find another avenue for them. I have seen the video multiple times but each time it puts the energy in the air! And on top of everything else, he is a very down to earth gentleman that will take the time to sign books, talk to you at schools, etc. Very approachable. Thanks Chief.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service