Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Boy guys its been a lucky past few months going to fires. I've been to a few extra alarms inside working but , I keep messing up my mic for my portable. It seems after every 2 fires or long wet training days in our tower my mic is shot. I've been throug three already this year. Now I try to keep it out of the way on my strap under my coat but it just keeps going out. I've blown through 2 speakers and the last was a the connection to the radio. I was wonder ing if you guys have any other suggestions. Hey thanks for your help and stay safe out there.

Steve

Views: 137

Replies to This Discussion

Stephen,
I operate with 2 Departments that use Motorola equipment. I have had some issues with the radio’s and the mic’s. At one point I took a direct stream of water and soaked the radio, the issue came from the connection point from the radio to the mic. The connection is like that of a MP3 player and water made its way into the radio causing a short circuit (we had a number of these issues). The other has been mic issues; the last time we trained I covered the mic with a plastic sandwich bag and a rubber band. It didn’t look good, but it prevented the mic from getting wet. I only use this during training events to save the mic from water damage. I do not use the bag during calls, so this will at least get you through training without any water damage.
Just be careful that you do not use the bag during live burn training, the heat will melt the bag.
DON’T be the next one, BE Safe!
Richard

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service