Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

To Workout or Not? When and what type of workouts do you do on shift?

This is a major concern for the fire rescue athlete,. On one hand we know we should be working out to stay and get fit for duty. Yet , if we burn out in the gym we won't be able to perform when it really matters. I recently posted an interval workout on my blog (Click Here to Read it) that received a lot of hits and emails. Most of the emails dealt with this question so please let me know your thoughts?

Stay Safe and Healthy,

A. Zamzow

www.FireRescueFitness.com  

Views: 523

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

-Was gonna jump on this one but Shauna covered everything... well stated Shauna. Exercise at work is fine but remember to go easier than usual while on duty, you still have a job to do; save the crazy high intensity for off duty.

Shauna said it well, although I think many times that the competiveness helps with the workouts since it makes us push ourselves a little harder.  I am with an all volunteer FD and a few of us have been meeting in the mornings to do the Insanity Workout.  It is a lot of cardio with strength training but does not require any weights or other equipment which works well for us.  I think the most important thing for us a firefighters is to:1) workout in ways that will help us with "the job" since it does require use and sometimes abuse of muscles that are not normally the focus of standard workouts  2) we should always try to improve on our cardio since that is the #1 killer of firefighters and it will help improve our working time and help us conserve air which will also help us if we are ever the one that has to call a mayday and wait for help.

If you haven't done it, I suggest the Insanity workout it is tough.  And some of the excercises like the "mountain climber" and "V push ups" work those muscles that are often used in pulling ceilings.

Great discussion, thanks for the input. I have to agree with Shauna that ultimately we must be ready to perform our job. Whatever workout you do on shift should prepare you to do your job not take away from it. I've received some great emails on this topic (please keep the discussions going) and think that stretching, foam rolling, cardio intervals, and/or steady state are good on duty options. Personally I like to perform "prehab' exercises to avoid back and shoulder injury. I also believe that workouts should be planned around your shift schedule, save the heavy lifting and metabolic resistance training for off duty days and rehab, foam rolling, stretching, cardio for on duty days.....thoughts?

-Exercising at work is ok but remember you still have a job to do. Generally, from a work out perspective, I count my Duty Days, as recovery and do not exercise at work at all. I do all my exercising, and I do train very hard, Off Duty.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service