Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Has anyone else made note of the fact that we've had 3 firefighter ejections and 2 deaths in the last 24 hours?

In addition to the 2 deaths in VA, a Newark, NJ firefighter, riding in an unenclosed jump seat, was jettisoned when his ladder company's apparatus turned a corner while responding to an alarm.

What's the percentage of firefighters using seatbelts in your department? In order to silence the seatbelt alarm, the chief I relieve latches the seat belt before he gets in and site ON his seatbelt.

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's been a bad week for the Fire Service . It's noticable .
A Seatbelt Pledge will go along way to ensure the safety of our firefighters. Seatbelt rules need to be enforced by the apparatus officer before the apparatus leaves the firehouse. This is a preventable death of a firefighter.
John i agree but the issue i see hear in NY is that the law exempts Emergency Vehichle Operators aand passengers from wearing them, we wrote this in to our Op's and short of beating them into submission they refuse citing the law . that law supercides our rules. i am right battling this out with my Board .
Chief

I just read the exclusions in NY law related to seatbelts and for the lack of better legal construct, the exclusion for emergency vehicles is "stupid"

I guess that you cannot legislate common sense.
The firefighter in Newark didn't die. Some civilians ran into the street to protect him from traffic. He went home with a neck brace the next day. But, it was a close one.

It's in the hands of the company commanders, and they're not doing the job. We need an interlock system, like we have on our ladder company outriggers: if you don't buckle in, the rig won't start, and it has to be cheat proof.
John i agree with you this was inputted by the Unions , i sat for 3 hrs tonight trying to make my case as to why i believe we need to wear them, but got no where.

John K. Murphy said:
Chief

I just read the exclusions in NY law related to seatbelts and for the lack of better legal construct, the exclusion for emergency vehicles is "stupid"

I guess that you cannot legislate common sense.
Hi Mike & others

I'm a bit late in on this discussion, but just wanted to say that we have exactly the same issues down under on the other side of the world. By far the most prevalent cause of LODD here is vehicle crashes, often with the lack of wearing seatbelts a contributing factor. We have made it policy that all staff must wear seatbelts, and part of our collective contract states that we must adhere to policy and lawful instructions from the OIC. We have just had bright yellow stickers put on the OIC dash board telling us to ensure that we instruct our crew to belt up. The management here are quite prepared to make it an employment issue, for both the firefighter and the OIC. Surely the same could apply anywhere, despite the law. For example, firefighters must be clean shaven in order to safely wear respiratiroy protection with out leaks (SCBA seal). It's a safety issue, and a policy and if someone refuses they can be fired. It's not however illegal to have a beard. Surley given the fact that we drive at higher than normal road speeds, travel through stop signs and red traffic lights and sometimes into opposing traffic, we can make these policies in the name of health and safety to protect our staff, and enforce them. I have to say, I enforce it. I only had to order one person to pull over and belt up, and the word got round. It's about officers stepping up and taking responsibility, even when that may make then unpopular for a while. It's worth pursuing this issue. Good luck and stay safe.

Mike D

Mike France said:
John i agree but the issue i see hear in NY is that the law exempts Emergency Vehichle Operators aand passengers from wearing them, we wrote this in to our Op's and short of beating them into submission they refuse citing the law . that law supercides our rules. i am right battling this out with my Board .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service