Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Ok, here is a small attempt to get this group active again, does your dept have specific tasks for each arriving apparatus or are tasks assigned as needed? In the Austin metro area most follow austin sops with the following...
First engine- attack
second engine- pump tank water to first and pull back up line from first eng
third engine- plug and rit
fourth eng- plug
first truck- inside truck
second truck- outside truck
heavy rescue(2 man)- utilities

My dept doesnt follow this unless we are aiding in an area that does, we assign aa needed and since we are truck poor an eng might be aasigned truck work if equiped. You guys weigh in and lets see where we stand, agree or disagree with our processes!

Views: 981

Replies to This Discussion

With our 2 eng out of one station, first in takes the fire, second engine picks up a plug. If the first due has a plug close, they may get their own water. 3rd eng may be a quint or an engine, and fourth and fifth are eng. Our companies, get water on the fire, our second eng is assigned search. The auto aid companies get put into place by the IC, whether myself as a Captain or one of the chiefs who has command. We get 4 engines and 1 quint on all fires in town.
We use arrival assignments at Shelby. We have 2 engines, 1 quint (utilized as an engine, 1 ladder co. and shift/battalion chief.

1st Due Eng--Investigate, Suppression
2nd Due Eng--Help with Water Supply, Back-up line
3rd Due Eng--RIT assignment
Ladder Co.--2 teams (Capt & 1 FF) FE & Search, (Eng. & 1 FF-if lucky) Utilities & Outside Vent

The only tool assignment we have is the FF assigned to the Ladder Capt has the "irons". Other than that, most of our guys don't bring tools. Like Dave said "no consistent tools assignments" so the guys would rather go back to the rig to get what they need. Like the late Andrew Fredericks said "take the time to make the time".
1st Eng.- 1st line
2nd Eng.- assist w/ 1st line
1st truck- fire floor
2nd Truck - floor above
3rd Eng. - 2nd line
4th Eng. - assist w/ 2nd line
3rd truck - FAST Truck
We do have Apparatus assignments , What we call a order of roll . each is assigned for different types of calls, as far as FF assigments that is left up to the officer of the apparatus to assign his crew, I as IC assign the apparatus to theri given assignement.
Chief- IC
1st Asst- Operations A/ B
2nd Asst- Operations C/D
Capt Safety- Accountibility
Lt Safety- Staging

Engine 64 - attack
Truck 63 - Ventilation/ search and rescue
ETA 61- Secondary engine company to E 64
R 60- manpower / air / rehab
RIT - MA dept- 2nd alarm
Rehab- MA dept.- 2nd. Alram
MA Engine - for Engine Compnay if needed

This is just for a Working Fire.

Mike France said:
We do have Apparatus assignments , What we call a order of roll . each is assigned for different types of calls, as far as FF assigments that is left up to the officer of the apparatus to assign his crew, I as IC assign the apparatus to theri given assignement.
-Like many large cities, Albuquerque does use pre assignments for apparatus to incidents as a typical first alarm assignment will have nine companies responding from as many different firehouses in the city. These pre assignments are designed to eliminate confusion and redundancy and increase the speed of service delivery.
-Like all firefighting operations pre assignments can change depending on circumstances but usually run as:
The first company on scene will be the initial IC
1st arriving engine (depending on occupancy and fire showing) stretch initial line and/or establish water supply from a hydrant.
2nd arriving engine generally establish water supply to first engine and/or stretch back up line (not secondary line; there is a difference)
3rd arriving engine stretch secondary line and/or RIC as needed.
1st arriving ladder perform forcible entry and initiate primary search
2nd arriving ladder perform ventilation
Of the two ambulances, one establishes EMS sector while the other augments manpower anywhere on scene as needed.
Heavy Rescue to establish/tak over RIC
Squad Co. Safety sector
1st arriving BC takes over IC
2nd BC is IC assistant.
Amen, the back-up line does not put the fire out. Sorry, you back the first line up
-Wow, another Brother that truly understands the subtleties and nuances in the art and craft that we call firefighting!! I knew I wasn't alone!!!

Dave LeBlanc said:
Michael Bricault said:

2nd arriving engine generally establish water supply and/or stretch back up line (not secondary line; there is a difference.

Yes there is a huge difference, and yet another "basic" that is getting lost in the shuffle.
In OKC we don't have pre-assignments for our apparatus but I definitely see the value in it. Though we don't have pre-assignments most fires run along a "typical" algorythm if you will. Typically the first Engine establishes it's water supply, lays in and commences fire attack. The second Engine either does search or pulls the back-up line. The third Engine either performs search or pulls the back-up line (which ever the 2nd doesn't). 4th Engine catches RIT. Ladder company typically does ventilation.

Sometimes, if the situation warrants, that order of assignment will change depending on the needs of the incident. It is up to the I/C.
I have implemented seat assignments for the apparatus in my Battalion. The Fire Chief doesn't require it. Since we've done it's worked great

Dave LeBlanc said:
Mike Walker said:
In OKC we don't have pre-assignments for our apparatus but I definitely see the value in it. Though we don't have pre-assignments most fires run along a "typical" algorythm if you will. Typically the first Engine establishes it's water supply, lays in and commences fire attack. The second Engine either does search or pulls the back-up line. The third Engine either performs search or pulls the back-up line (which ever the 2nd doesn't). 4th Engine catches RIT. Ladder company typically does ventilation.

Sometimes, if the situation warrants, that order of assignment will change depending on the needs of the incident. It is up to the I/C.

Mike, what about seat assignments on the apparatus? Does each seat have a certain responsibility, or is it as assigned?
In my department we have numerous SOGs that give pre-assignments for different types of fires, but it all depends on who arrives first and who shows up to run the show. When one follows the plan things go smooth and everyone knows what job they have to do, so radio traffic is limited and the work gets done. Many times though we have people arriving on scene and then asking what to do...Here is what you do - KNOW YOUR JOB AND GO TO WORK!! Sorry, just venting!!

Here are our assignments for a residential fire (unless deviation do to rescues)
E1 - Fire attack
E2 - Water Supply, 2nd hoseline
E3 - RIT
E4 - Back-up water
T1 - Split into 2 and 2, inside and outside functions
M1 - Assist with search or fire attack
M2 - Transport medic
BC1 - Command
BC2 - Point of most operational concern
Safety - Safety

1st Eng Co - fire attack (3-4 members)

1st Truck C - F/E, Search, Vent (3-4 members)

2nd Eng Co - water supply, back up line(there's a critical difference between back up and 2nd lines) (3-4 members)

1st due ALS Squad/ambo - utilities, secondary search (2-3 members)

3rd due Eng Co - RIT, 2nd line(if needed) (3-4 members)

1st Chief - Command (1 member)

2nd Chief - Safety (1 member)

We are still working on designated seat/tool assignments, but this is our box assignment for structure fires.  The 1st alarm is 1 Eng Co and 1 Truck Co and the rest of the assignment is considered a 2nd alarm which is to be requested by the 1st due Officer. If the RIT is activated, a 3rd alarm is called  which brings a replacement Eng Co, an addional Truck Co, and an ALS Squad.  If there is a victim and the original ALS Squad needs to transport, then a replacement ALS Squad is requested.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service