Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I would like to start a discussion specifically on solid stream/smooth bore nozzles. I am interested in what size nozzles are being used as well as different stack tip configurations and why you use them. My department uses the following:
15/16" on 1 3/4" lines.
1 1/4" on all 2 1/2"s including high rise.
I would really like to here from departments using the (1 1/4" x 1/2") and (1 1/4" x 1 1/8" x 1") stack tips for hand line use.

Views: 1150

Replies to This Discussion

We did some testing with both SB and fog nozzles. We found that the SBs were right on with the flow, but the fogs were off, by as much as 30gpm on some, for what they were supposed to flow. Also something to remember is that when looking for your optimal flow, each size hose will only flow a certian amount of water no matter how much pressure is behind it!
What pressure did you pump your fog's? We pump ours at 130 psi for 1 3/4" & our 2 1/2" (with fog and both are 200'). Would like to know what you guys came up with. Thanks and Stay Safe!

Larry

Brandon Krause said:
We did some testing with both SB and fog nozzles. We found that the SBs were right on with the flow, but the fogs were off, by as much as 30gpm on some, for what they were supposed to flow. Also something to remember is that when looking for your optimal flow, each size hose will only flow a certian amount of water no matter how much pressure is behind it!
Larry Glover said:
What pressure did you pump your fog's? We pump ours at 130 psi for 1 3/4" & our 2 1/2" (with fog and both are 200'). Would like to know what you guys came up with. Thanks and Stay Safe!

Larry

130 psi for 200 ft of 1.75"? What type of fog nozzles? 50 , 75 or standard 100 psi nozzle pressures?
We used a chart so that we could be as accurate to the manufact. specs as possible. You can find the chart at TFTs website. For the selectable gallonage we just pumped to maintain 100psi at the nozzle. FYI for one of the evolutions we were pumping the truck at 190psi per the chart to obtain the correct flow, didnt work but took a few guys to man the nozzle.

Larry Glover said:

Larry

Brandon Krause said:
We use the 100 psi Akron TurboJet 200 gpm's. Our policy states that we pump at 130 psi pdp--I don't like it.

Adam Miceli said:
Larry Glover said:

Larry

130 psi for 200 ft of 1.75"? What type of fog nozzles? 50 , 75 or standard 100 psi nozzle pressures?
Bro
Let me tell you that if your TFTs are more than 10 years old, they are NOT putting out what you think. I recently did a test. Digital flow meters, inline guages, the whole works. I am not going to bore you with how it was set up, but we pumped a series of TFTs (200 feet 1 3/4") at 150 psi. The first time the line was charged and nozzle open, we got about 170 gpm. Then we shut down the line at the pump. We recharged it, again at 150 psi, and the nozzle open, (same nozzle team, same hose) and got 125 gpm. We did this same procedure numorous times. We even changed nozzles (HF-TFTs all the time) and we got various flows, including one time as low as 106 gpm. Now I started thinking it was the flow meter. I recalibrated it. Same stuff! Then to prove my point, I put on 1400 series Akron SB nozzle, and pumped it at 130 psi, (20 psi/length, 50 psi NP) and got about 185 gpm each time. We repeated the same procedures just like the automatic. There was no change. The TFT rep was called, and when the weather changes, he is coming in from Indiana to run the tests with us. He even stated the nozzles need to go back to the factory for periodic tune ups. This is why Akron NO LONGER makes any automatic nozzles. Be safe Bros, because with an automatic, it looks great, but like Forest's Mom said "life (read: automatic nozzles) are like a box of chocolates, you never know what cha goin to get"!!!!!!

Brandon Krause said:
We used a chart so that we could be as accurate to the manufact. specs as possible. You can find the chart at TFTs website. For the selectable gallonage we just pumped to maintain 100psi at the nozzle. FYI for one of the evolutions we were pumping the truck at 190psi per the chart to obtain the correct flow, didnt work but took a few guys to man the nozzle.

Larry Glover said:

Larry

Brandon Krause said:
Thanks for the info Russ. I should have put in there, that they are adjustable gallonage nozzles. I set mine on 200 gpm's when I'm driving. I really would love to do some flow testing with our nozzles and the "predetermined" pdp's that we use to see what we really get. Thanks for the info Brother. Stay Safe.

Larry
1" tip on 200' 1.75"
1 1/16" tip on 250' 2"
1 1/4" tip on 200' 2.5"
1 1/16" tip on 250' 2.5" to 150' 2" line (400')
Brother
Check this article out. I am an adjucnt instructor for the Connecticut Fire Adademy, Cadre leader of the Engine Company stuff. We lay this out for classes I teach. It is an eye opener, and has sold many a fire chief that thier Automatics are not what they think they are, or that we are overpumping fog nozzles. Hope this helps.

http://www.fireengineering.com/index/articles/display/274183/articl...

Larry Glover said:
Thanks for the info Russ. I should have put in there, that they are adjustable gallonage nozzles. I set mine on 200 gpm's when I'm driving. I really would love to do some flow testing with our nozzles and the "predetermined" pdp's that we use to see what we really get. Thanks for the info Brother. Stay Safe.

Larry

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service