Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

My department is in the process of reconfiguring our highrise/ standpipe packs. We have moved to 150' of 2 1/2" hose using 3 seperate bundles. We also use 1 1/4" soild stream nozzle. I am intetrested what other departments are using.
Bob

Views: 1280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TRYING TO CHANGE OUR DEPARTMENTS HIGHRISE PACK INTO USING THE CLEVELAND LOAD NO FLAKING OUT IS NECESSARY AND CAN BE QUICKLY PUT INTO ACTION
We tried the Cleveland, I loved it, but watch out with light weight High rise hose, once the nozzle is opened the hose will tend to kink. Make sure your people stay with each bundle until it completely plays out.
GCOCHRAN said:
TRYING TO CHANGE OUR DEPARTMENTS HIGHRISE PACK INTO USING THE CLEVELAND LOAD NO FLAKING OUT IS NECESSARY AND CAN BE QUICKLY PUT INTO ACTION
Dave? How did you present your idea to your FD? I am having the same problem at my FD's. One of them, will not use 2.5" line for high rise packs(we have 150 ft of 1.75" with a 1.25" smoothbore tip. and the other FD won't use 2.5" line or smoothbore nozzles. How do I sell them on the ideas of friction loss, lower operating pressures, PSI vs. GPM, and the true hazards of high rise firefighting. I presented a powerpoint on a high rise in our district and I used the 1 Meridian Plaze in Phila., PA as an example of lives lost and why, but it fell on death ears. I am not giving up. I know that it is for the betterment of the FD, the public, and the FF's but perhaps I should try a different angle. so, out of curiosity, what worked for you?Dave LeBlanc said:
We just changed our up. I lost the fight for 2 1/2, but won the smoothbore argument. I'll have to take what I can get. We have no true highrises, but have several standpiped buildings. Our tallest (4 stories) is on the Ocean, so the wind driven possibility concerns me.

We are using 150' of 1 3/4 with a 7/8" slug tip. The hose is in 2 bundles, 100' and 50'. We have a gated wye with 15' of 2 1/2" for the connection. We also have a small bag with wrenches, chocks, the fog tip from the break apart and soon to be added a rope (bleach bottle style) for hauling up more hose.

It isn't perfect, but we can flow 160GPM at 50PSI and 195GPM at 75PSI. (Assuming we can achieve that pressure.) We are going to field test the crap out of it over the next month or so. We also have it set up to use as a long lay line (Marinas and Long narrow driveways) and to extend off a 2 1/2" line. Since we rarely have incidents in our standpiped buildings, the thought was the more ways to use it, the more familiar we would all become.

I have a power point of the set up if you are interested. We used "the Bundles" method to pack it. Check it out on Youtube, just type in the bundles.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service