St Louis Fire Department
Title/rank:
Captain
Years of public service:
32 (total fire service)
Agency structure:
Paid fire department
Top issues in your department:
New training and education standards for Recruit Firefighters and Officer candidates; and improved RIT training and Terrorism preparedness. Improved relationships among firefighters from various ethnic groups.
Professional Qualifications:
Firefighter I & II; Haz-Mat Technician; EMT Basic; ARFF Firefighting; Fire Instructor I; Fire Instructor II; Fire Officer I; CPR Instructor; working on B.S. degree in Fire Science through Columbia Southern University
Topics you provide training for:
Firefighter I and II subjects/skills for basic recruit and veteran firefighters. Company level training, Air Management, and Fire ground strategies and tactics.
Areas of expertise:
Basic engine and truck company duties and skills (utilizing quints); aircraft-rescue firefighting; auto extrication; basic building construction, firefighter safety; fire behavior; and CPR. Expert at nothing, student of ALL.
Bio:
Total fire service experience of over 31 years. Began as a volunteer firefighter with the Worthington Fire Department in suburban Louisville KY from March 84 to Oct 86; Structural/Aircraft firefighter in the US Air Force from Oct 86 to Feb 91, simultaneously a volunteer firefighter with the Gosnell, AR Fire Dept. Volunteer FF in KY again from Feb 91 to Aug. 91; And just over 24 years with the St Louis Fire Department where I presently work. I've had previous assignments on 4 quint engines; 1 quint hook and ladder; 1 heavy rescue with haz-mat; and the ARFF district at Lambert Int'l Airport. Currently assigned to Hook & Ladder 2. Also I'm an Assistant Instructor with the St Louis County Fire Academy, and the Highlander FF I and II program at St Louis Community College.

Comment Wall:

• Todd McKee

Hello Mr. Morgan! I saw that the top issues in your department were Terrorism preparedness. I currnetly work for the University of FIndlay as a WMD HazMat Instructor. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.... I also see that you are HazMat Tech! If there is knowledge you would like to pas on to me please do! THis is a great place to learn from each other,,,,
  • Todd McKee

Sounds great! Feel free to check out my HazMAt site www.HazMatOhio.COM. Please do not hesitate to email me and trainings or HazMAt stuff at toddcmckee@hazmatohio.com
  • Rick Lasky

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your kind words brother!! What a great way to start the day. Now all we need to do is get more folks like you and I and some of the other brothers and sisters on this site, to push and prod some of the others to feel the same way.

It's the best job in the world!!

Be safe pal and take care,

Rick
  • Anthony Avillo

hey nick
    welcome aboard
    this site is a great resource
    pass it on
    stay safe out there
    aa
  • Christopher A. Barry, Sr.

Congrats, Nick. Strong work on the cert. test. Be safe, Chris
  • Anthony Avillo

congrats
    u r only just beginning -- stay the course
    b safe
    aa
  • Jim Mason

Glad to have you as a friend Nick. I see that you are doing some training on truck work. I'm a relieving LT., which means I get to the trucks and engines. But I most enjoy the truck work. I got promoted off a tower ladder. The basics are also what will keep FF's alive on the fire ground. We put a truck company tactics question on the Common Sense Firefighting page about roof top venting on a commercial building. Check it out and see what you think
    Jim Mason
    Chgo FD
  • Todd McKee

Nick
    Take a look at the HazMat group called "Unique HazMat Incidents" We would love your input!
    Todd McKee
  • Kim Plash

Hi Nick,

I am so glad you are enjoying your classes at CSU. Your family photo is wonderful. Kim
  • Mike Gagliano

Merry Christmas brother and thanks very much for buying the book. I hope it helps and lmk if we can help as you implement Air Management.

I actually was chatting with a guy from your neck of the woods about coming out to do a conference. His name is Rob Odenwald.

He just emailed and said economic issues were getting in the way.

Maybe one day I'll be out your way and we can chat for real....

Rock on brother

Mike
  • Ken Wagner

Thanks for having me. I hope to use this tool to help me with training ideas while on duty with my guys.
  • Brotherhood Instructors, LLC

Hey Nick, thanks for the add. Hope all is well.
  • John Norman

Hi Nick, I am glad to hear you enjoy the FOHboT.
    I'll look for you in Indy.
    Stay safe
  • Marty Hamrick

Hey brother. Yes I know Bob.
  • Mike Gagliano

see you there bro... great pic of you and your wee ones...

mike
  • Matt Sleet

Yes sir it does. Looks like a Real Chief!! I would have made the job myself but I was checking out of my hotel is Las Vegas when my phone rang.
  • Rick Lasky

Thanks brother. Be safe!!
  • Phil Jose

Nick,

What a great photo. You look to be a rich man. Thanks for reading the book. Let me (us) know if we can help.

Phil
  • Anthony Avillo

thanks nick
    i hope u get a lot out of it
    is the book used in the promotional process in st louis?
  • Dave McGrail

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the positive feedback...

Stay Low,

Dave Mc.
  • Leon Matthews

Thanks bro, Im looking forward to learning new things on here
  • John Norman

Hey Nick, thanks for the hospitality and the kind words. We all had a good time doing it. I am really glad to see St. Louis making some good progress after so many lean years. You are poised to have a great opportunity in your career. Enjoy it.
    Stay safe
    JWN
  • Michael Wielgat – The Hero Pipe

Thanks Nick. Appreciate that!
  • Rick Decorie

Hey Nick - Sorry I did'nt run into you at FDIC. Hope you had a good time. My classes were good and so were the bagpipers.