Topics you provide training for:
Fire ground operations
Company Officer Training
Fire Ground Survival
Areas of expertise:
Engine,and Truck Operations
Company Officer
Bio:
21 years total member of the fire service, 6 years in Oak Lawn (IL)
15 years in Chicago (IL). As a FF assigned to Engines, Trucks and Heavy Rescue Squad. Associates Degree and Published in Fire Engieering Magazine, Speaker at FDIC.

Comment Wall:

Load Previous Comments
  • Ryan Berter

I've been gone a while from the site, sorry for not responding to you. I work in an industrial district that doesn't do much fire activity. We're more fire alarm experts than firefighters. All joking aside we don't do that much fire. If and when something happens in my first due it stays relatively small due to suppression systems. I am wondering if you have any thoughts or tactical issues you could expound on with large commercial buildings. Primarily large warehouse type building, some in excess of 500X500. Currently our first due attempts to find the best access to the fire area. We deploy a hose pack of 1 3/4 supplied with 2 1/2" from teh truck. The second due engine lays into us if we don't have a yard hydrant. The third engine is usually the one to supply the FDC. So we are talking about switching to all 2 1/2 for these types of buildings. We are beginning to look at different ways of doing things. Here is our thought:
    The first due Engine will find the best and closest doorto the fire area. With search rope and our 2 1/2 hose packs we will attempt to find the fire. Once found we will find the closest door, man door or overhead, and have the 2nd Engine will meet us with a 2 1/2 supply line to feed our hose packs. The 2nd due will reverse lay to a hydrant and supply the line. The 3rd due will supply the FDC.
    Let me know any thoughts or concerns you would have with this. This was picked up by my training Capt at FDIC and the idea was introduced to me the other day.

Look forward to the discussion thanks for your input.
  • Art Zern

Hey Jim,

Welcome back, I hope you and your family are well.

Art
  • Tom Dunne

Jim,
    How have you been? My condolances to the Chicago FD on the recent firefighter death.
    Tom Dunne