Title/rank:
Fire Chief
Years of public service:
Agency structure:
Volunteer fire department
Top issues in your department:
Recruitment/Retention, realistic training, officer development
Professional Qualifications:
Firefighter I, II, Haz-Mat Technician, Fire Officer I-IV, Fire Inspector I, II, III, Fire Instructor I,II, NIMS, Command & General Staff, Blue Card Command Train the Trainer
Topics you provide training for:
Firefighting, auto extrication, command training
Bio:
19 years in the fire service, fire chief of a volunteer department, Deputy Fire Chief at the Rock Island Arsenal.

Comment Wall:

• Bob Carpenter

Thanks for the feedback, Joe. Look for more next year. We are both putting in for 1:45 classes as well as the workshop. Hope to see you there.

Train hard
  • Michael Posner

Joe,

Thank you for the kind words! Stay safe, hope to see you next year, let me know if theres anything I can help you with.
  • Darin Keith

Hi Joe!
  • David Ebel

G********,

Please allow me to invite you to a site designed by responders for responders... the crew that is doing it is CISM multilevel trained and are there for the guys after the bad calls. It helps the responders that do not yet have a team or would be worried that they asking for help would be seen as weakness. Please join and share it when you can. As a chaplain with over 25 years of service to fire departments I am excited with it's potential to provide support.

Visit Emergency and Disaster Responders
  • Brotherhood Instructors, LLC

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the add. We were just out your way last week teaching a class for Ankeny.

Thanks again,

Nate
  • Darin Keith

Hi Joe, keep up the good work!
  • Darin Keith

I am sure I will put more on.
  • Mike Gagliano

Hey brother...

I am thrilled you are digging the book and very appreciative of your kind words and encouragement.

If we can help with getting your policy off the ground or tightened up, don't hesitate to ask.

Ride to the sound of the guns brother...

Mike
  • J. Scott Loftis

How are the skills sheets coming? I have another set for Driver / Operator. Did you like the FF1 and FF2 sets that I sent you?
  • Mike Gagliano

Bro...

Shoot me an email and I'll zip you off the Seattle guideline...

mikeyjay@aol.com
  • chris conforti

Hey brother,
    Joe, what do you carry as far as caribiners and rescue harneses etc...
  • Todd McKee

Chief,
    Thank you for joining the group Unique HazMat Incidents. I hope your postings will allow us to grow in the HazMat WORLD.

Your Friend,
    Todd McKee
  • Jim Mason

Glad to have you qs friend Joe. We're almost neighbors, Chicago and E. Dubuque! I believe officer development is a challenge in any dept. The question is how do we teach these FF's how to make decisions. TThat's a bit of what we're trying on the "Common Sense Firefighting " page. We just started it a couple of days ago but we think it might work out. What do you guys do for your command training?
    Jim Mason
    Chgo FD
  • Jim Mason

That's excellant! My teaching buddy and I have been working on a company officer school with hands on and lecture parts also. The chnallenges are to get them to make decisions leaning mostly on crew continuity, delagation to the FF's, tatical priorities and communications to coordinate. It's a challenge for the students. It really basic tasks built around decison making obsticals
  • Jim Mason

Yeah Joe
    I'm really enjoying it too. We just need about another thousand people on the page. take care
    Jim
  • le neouanic laurent

hello my name is laurent so french paramedic fire figther,i search for trade uniform's and helmet's for my collection ,thank's for your reponse my blog :
    http://sssm22.skyrock.com/
    my mail : laurent.leneouanic@cegetel.net
    happy new year for you and your family ,so long .laurent
  • Rob Cannon

Chief,
    Thanks for the add! I look forward to learning from you and the MANY others on here!

Stay Safe
    FTM-PTB

Rob
  • L. Chapel

Joe,

I read with interest your request (post) for yearly skills evaluations information.

I'm looking for driver proficiency testing specifically. Whether it be formal training given by our Training Department, or informal; in the back lot of the station stuff.

I noticed you had some decent responses. Is there any information you received that you could share in this regard? I thought I'd try you prior to placing another post that may cover the same ground.

Thanks…Les Chapel
  • L. Chapel

Great, can't wait to read it. Thanks...Les

leschapel@msn.com
  • Joseph Tisbe

Thanks