Portland, Indiana

United States

Profile Information:

Lives in:
INDIANA
Department:
PORTLAND FIRE DEPT
Title/rank:
Instructor/EMT, IFIA District 6 Rep, District 6 Training Council-Secretary, District 6 Training Council-Jay Co Rep
Years of public service:
11 [past 6 with Portland FD]
Agency structure:
Combination fire department
Professional Qualifications:
Fire Officer I, Safety Officer, Instructor II/III, EMT-B, AHA CPR Instructor, numerous other certifications
Topics you provide training for:
CPR & First Aid [community out-reach classes as well as In-House], monthly training drills as well as IDHS sponsored classes such as Firefighter I/II, Hazmat Awareness/Operations
Areas of expertise:
In my opinion, expertise leads to complacency and complacency is a self-satisfied state of mind oblivious to any danger present. If one becomes an "Expert", they often feel they no longer need the education or training to continue personal growth because they have reached the peak-they are the Expert, they can achieve nothing higher. I would argue that the places we feel the most familiar with can be the most perilous because the menace is not so obvious to us. When we feel confident the environment is stable, we often forget things are subject to change and become precarious in an instant. We as firefighters must learn to react and interact with our surroundings constantly to ensure we are alert to the possibilities of catastrophe, so that everyone goes home at the end of the day.

Comment Wall:

• Rick Lasky

Hi Stacy. I would be honored to be listed as your friend!! I hope I get to see you in Indy....

Be safe. ...and I can't wait to see our picture!
  • Eddie Buchanan

Thanks for the kind words Stacy! It was an honor to spend time with the troops in Indiana. What a great bunch! I'm looking forward to coming back for FDIC! I'll keep an eye out for you at FDIC! Be safe!
  • Kevin Byron

Thanks. This is cool. I look forward to being a member on this site.
  • Ron Johnson

At 1:16am on March 8th, 2008, Ron Johnson said…
    Thanx for the vote of confidence. what you saw was just a temporary front page. i'm still uploading pics into the other galleries. their are some 14,600 shots. most are digital and some are film which i scanned in. after i finish uploading what is stored on my computer, i still have another 5,000 or 6,000 negs to scan in! most of the websites that i've seen, organize their fire shots by date, i.e. they just keep piling up their new entries, one after another, as they come in and it is difficult to find any job in particular, unless you remember the date. i am taking a different approach. i am organizing them by state and then by town. i can't tell you what the date was for the last fire that i shot...but i CAN tell you the town! as i started to upload my photos, i was uploading all the photos for each town but i decided to start with just a job or two per town until i'm up and running; and then go back and fill in the older jobs. if you would like to take a peek in the "back door", go to www.photozonfire.exposuremanager.com and you'll see what i'm doing while it's under construction.
    By the way...i have a stepdaughter who spells her name the same way...no "e". she hates when someone misspells it!
    Stay safe...Ron
  • Brandon Taylor

Hey thanks for the invite I am a member on firefighternation but I didn't know about this site. This site is set up a lot like the firefighternation site.
  • Brandon Taylor

Man it sounds like you are going to have a fun weekend. I would love to join you but I am flying to Louisiana Saturday morning for training.
  • Brandon Taylor

Hey where did you go? I see that you are off line now thats ok I am going myself I guess. You will have to get back with me later if you are back online.
  • Brandon Taylor

You need to get some pictures of you up on here.
  • Brandon Taylor

I found your pics I didn't realize that you had any on here since you didn't have one in the main spot. I am not sure if I am going to FDIC yet or not. I am going to be out of town a lot in the next couple of months for training so I am not sure if I will make it. You didn't know that I was the a** chief? I was chief for 5 years but with my job I don't have the time to do both so I stepped down to the assistant last year. Is that good or bad that it made you go hmmm? Are you going to FDIC for any of the classes or just the equipment show?
  • Brandon Taylor

Oh by the way nice pics hope to see more soon.
  • Rick Lasky

...I will see ya in Indy!!!!!!!!!!!

Be safe buddy!
  • Dave Diehl

Thanks for the reply Stacy, I look forward to working with you in the future.
    Dave
  • Rick Lasky

See ya there, give me a ring and definitely on the Starbucks buddy!!

Be safe
  • Doug Cox

Hello Stacy, nice to hear from you as well. Yes, you can add me to your list, I will add you as well. Hope everything is going well. Look forward to seeing you at the IFIA meetings.
  • Rick Lasky

...give me a ring in the office at 972-219-3563 and I'll fill you in on our week.

See ya
  • Rick Lasky

Why certainly buddy... I have a staff meetiing in the morning but should be good after 10AM.

See ya!
  • Jim Mayfield

Good to hear from you also. Process went well and we'll see how it pans out. Thanks for the offer. I may bum a few from you to utilize for a short time. I'll give you a call soon.
  • Drew Smith

You do not look familiar but maybe it was at FDIC or one of the Indiana Fire Chiefs conferences. I have been a speaker on Technical Rescue twice.
  • Chad Abel

Stacy...This is a great site. Thack you for adding me to your list of friends. Looking at your "Areas of expertise" tells me exactly why I am drawn to you as fire service instructor. Much more insightful and thought provoking than my "Areas of expertise" section where I actually tried to define what I think I am good at. You captured what the essence of a quality instructor is!
  • Shawn Russell

The Great state of Texas
  • J. Scott Loftis

I will be at FDIC from Wednesday thru Saturday. I will burn a few copies to disc and bring them with me.
  • Mike Donovan

Yes I will, arriving Tuesday afternoon and leaving Friday.
  • Paul VonBank

Hey whats up
  • Anthony Avillo

yes
    am doing a class on wed at 1030
    will also probably be at the pennwell booth after that for a little bit
    otherwise u can catch me on mon and tues at truck company search HOT class
    be glad 2 sign it
    thanks 4 the support
    stay safe out there
    aa
  • TR Hagerty

Stacy
    Do you have any big plans for FDIC don't forget the FOOLS bash on Wed. night great time if you have never been to one. Are you taking any HOT classes on Mon. and Tues. I am a Safety Officer for Advanced Auto Extrication then will be working the booth for To Hell and Back look me up I would love to come to Portland and teach to program. I will be down on Sunday give me a call
    if you are looking for somthing to do my cell 260-668-1852
    TR Hagerty Angola Fire
  • Ray Harvey

I grew up in Randolph county and graduated from Union City, IN. I'm also I'm taking the
    elevator class. TR said you are looking for people to hang out with, sounds good. I have lots of differant FF's that I looking forward to seeing this week. I'm at the Crown Plaza. TR has my # if you want to call, I don't really want to put it up here for all to see.
  • David Ebel

Visit Emergency and Disaster Responders
    A site for responders by responders.. please check it out for yourself. Be honored to have you see for yourself.
  • J. Scott Loftis

How are the S.O.G.'s going? Hope all is well.

EGH-PFB
  • William E. Harter

Hi Stacy..How are you?