Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

We currently use Hemp rope for our ladder halyards and they always seem to be in a state of questionable condition. All my commercial ladders have a poly rope halyard and I'm considering trying some poly ropes on some FD ladders. Anybody have any insight into this?

Views: 668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the reply Brent

Does your department have a policy about how often the halyards are to be changed?
Trash the Hemp and go with some good quality synthetic. We replaced all our halyard ropes several years ago (after a hemp line broke), I have no idea where it was purchased. It looks like a polyester kernmantel rope, about 7/16 diameter.

Try giving a ring to some of the rope companys and they should be able to point you in the right direction. I noticed that some of the new ladders currently have a synthetic rope for the halyard. One of the fire service ladder manufacturers should also be able to help you out.

Good luck,
Sal
Sal
Jim is correct about trashing the hemp line. Remember that natural fiber rope loses 50% of its strength every time it gets wet, and never regains it back. My department changes the line as soon as we purchase a new ladder. And we do not have a policy either about when to change them.

Good luck and BE SAFE!
Gary
Thanks for replying sal and Gary

Gary, is the synthetic rope you all use a braided rope or other?
Yes, it is a polypropolene (excuse the spelling) braided rope from CMC (there ladder halyard)

BE SAFE
Gary
Thanks Gary, I"ll check out CMC's web site.
Mike,
We use nylon it works great. We change it as needed, ladders are inspected after use and on wed when the companys wash them.

1/2 tan superpro from Orion Ropeworks Winslow ME #620160-TAN00600-R0321 It is three strans and braided.
Thanks Frank

How long have you guys been using this rope? Is there any reason why you use a nylon rope vs. a poly rope?
For over 11 years, as for the choice it is stronger and does not fray as bad like poly will over time .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service