Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

My department is looking into starting a somewhat more formal Mentoring Program for our new members. We are a volunteer department and have always had a Junior Firefighter Porgram but we have not had a formal set of guidelines for mentoring them. I would appreciate any suggestions or locations of documents that might help.

Thanks

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I was on a volunteer department we had a very aggresive training and mentoring program for our new members. We always started every year getting a list of experienced members who wanted to mentor and assist with training. They would assist with training and be paired up with one of our new members. Being a mentor came with a lot of responsibility like:

-They would obvoiusly be the go to guy for the recruit. Any questions or concerns would be fielded by the mentor.

-The mentor would be responsible for teaching the recruit about our rigs. Where all the equiptment was and how to use it. When it came time for the recruit to be tested off on the rig his mentor had to be present. If the recruit failed, both would be responsible.

-The mentor was expected to review any skills the recruit had questions on. Especially those which were tested off. SCBA, Ladders, Hose Loads, Knots, ect.

-The mentor was also expected to teach at least one class through out the program.

You get the gist of our recruit program. It worked out great because the recruit felt welcome with in the organization, but still was held accountable. It also strengthened our senior members because they constantly reviewed the basics and learned how to manage people. If you would like any more info on the program let me know and Ill try to obtain some of the files to share with you.
Thank you, I may take you up on the offer of more paperwork. But I plan to let one of my members do some work on it first.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service