Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Have been told by a sales rep that 13/4 hose is close enough to 2in to use the 1in tip with great flow. What do you think??

Views: 1066

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What's "great flow"?  185 plus is very do-able.

Sure, I guess it will work and I am sure you could get flows of 185gpm, but at what cost? I was always taught that on solid bore streams, more specifically solid bore hand lines, that the nozzle orifice should not be more than 1/2 the size of the hose line.

Why you ask? This supposedly limits the amount of water that is capable of being discharged in a range tha keeps a good working amount of nozzle pressure for reach and enough pressure in the line that prevents the line from easy kinking. Try it for yourself....you'll believe to.

We have utilized 1 inch s.s. nozzles on 1 3/4 inch hose for many years. This set-up delivers 200 gpm at 50 psi with a FL of 35 to 50 psi in 100 ft. of hose, depending on the hose utilized (low friction) or not. With a 200 ft. attack line you have a PDP of 150 psi. The fire stream is excellent and maximizes the knock-down and punch delivered by the stream. We also utlize 7/8 inch tips that deliver 180 gpm at 50 psi for a FL of 30 to 40 psi in 100 ft. of hose, PDP of 130 psi or less.

Both of these streams have great reach and penetration as well as adequate gpm for fire knock-down. They work very well! 

I think it will shorten your reach.  There is a relationship between the size of the nozzle tip, and the water pressure that creates the reach and allows the gallons to flow.  If you open the tip, you reduce the back pressure which reduces the reach. Those long hallways will become longer.

This sounds like rumor and propaganda to me.

Who told you this and what proof did they offer?  This test was run by the FDNY and you can disregard the 1st Strike results, but the 15/16 is close enough to what you were asking about.

http://www.1ststriketech.com/Testimonies/finalreportFDNY.pdf

Kirk Allen studies this stuff for a living and can point you to actual tests with real numbers:

http://community.fireengineering.com/forum/topic/listForContributor...

Robert Kramer said:

Sure, I guess it will work and I am sure you could get flows of 185gpm, but at what cost? I was always taught that on solid bore streams, more specifically solid bore hand lines, that the nozzle orifice should not be more than 1/2 the size of the hose line.

Why you ask? This supposedly limits the amount of water that is capable of being discharged in a range tha keeps a good working amount of nozzle pressure for reach and enough pressure in the line that prevents the line from easy kinking. Try it for yourself....you'll believe to.

The one inch tip flows 209 gpm at 50 psi, the 15/16 tip flows 182 at 50 psi,and the 7/8 tip flows 160 at 50 psi.  My POC FD uses a 1 1/4 inch slug tip on our 2 inch lines and we flow 300 gpm at just over 40psi at the tip.

The reach argument is important if you are doing exterior attacks.  Less important interior where you rarely need more than 20 or 30 feet of reach.

To the original poster, a 1 inch tip works fine on 1 3/4 inch hose. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service