Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

How do you personally or in your department quantify or qualify your training program? How is success measured? What performance indicators do you use that help you determine if your program is heading in the right direction?

Views: 150

Replies to This Discussion

Well to over simplify things, if the troops apply the training, improve the training and pass on the training, I consider the training successful. I believe training occurs anytime safe, accurate information is delivered, received and then applied correctly for a period of time that demonstrates retention.

Formally, we do Company Preparedness Drills that bring together a series of training modules in scenario based evolutions. The “standard time” has been set and becomes one of the bench marks for participating companies. The others being safety and effectiveness. One of our mottos at the drill field is safer, faster, better. I am currently in the process of developing training metrics for improving results. We also do what is called the Quarterly Big 5. Each of the Big 5 is conducted at least quarterly and they include a ladder drill, a hose drill, firefighter survival / rescue drill an SCBA drill and a live scenario event. I firmly believe that one of the most important improvement factors in our training process is having a system for immediate feedback on performance, both in training and actual fire / rescue events.

What it really boils down to is if no one is getting hurt or performing unsafe acts, if our actions are predictable, if the troops feel confident and know what they are expected to do and have been trained and mentored to do it and most importantly if the Fire Chief believes that the organization is prepared mentally, physically, mechanically and procedurally…something about the training must be working.
Nice brother;
Great response, maybe you could list or attach the company preparedness drills for others to share. The Big 5 is a great concept and I think others could benefit from your success Scott. Keep up the good work. Hope to see you in Indy.
In my training programs i qualify my teaching by backing everything i do up with Georgias Core Competency and life safety skills for firefighters. I take each trining that i do and relate it back to the core set of 32 skills that that state of GA has set forth as the most important skills a FF should be able to perform out of our 136 total skills. These core competencies are what the state holds our state certified firefighters to each yer to recertify to be able to work full time at any fire department in GA. The backing of the state for these skills gives me the ground to stand on if and when someone should ask why we traing so much or so hard on the life safety skills. I also do periodic evaluations again along the lines of the state evals that are done for the certified folks. I take the results form my evals and constantly look at how effective my training is and what i could improve on or what the guys on the line may need more help accomplishing. These basic tools/skills allow me to show how important it is for my guys to train and to be proficient at what they do on a daily basis.
Thanks Forest. I am more than happy to share anything that I utilize in Lewisville. I will attempt to upload my info. on the Big 5, First 5 Minutes and Company Preparedness Drills 1 and 2 (Credit is given to McKinney, Texas FD for the idea on this one) we have about 46. See you in Indy Brother.
Attachments:
I believe that success is based by how companies operate on the fire or emergency scene. Effeciently and efficitively mitigating emergencies with low injury level is a sign that all personnel are working together and maintaining situational awareness. Attack lines, back up lines, fireground support ops are all accomplished as we trained. I like to listen to radio traffic as a sign of successful training. Whether alarms, special ops incidnets or fires, I can measure training by radio traffic per incident.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service