Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Looking for info on good/bad experiences at any school where you completed a Bachelor's Degree in Fire Science.  Spefically looking for transfer credits, costs, application process, financial aid, staff helpfulness/cooperation, etc.  I'm planning on going back in January 2011 and doing the work online.  I want to make an informed decision.  I've spoken to reps from Anna Maria College, Kaiser University, Kaplan University, University of Cincinnati, University of Maryland University College, Columbia Southern University, and Franklin University.  Your help is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Views: 372

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Check out Eastern Oregon University. I finished my degree there and was very pleased. Good luck.
I did my 4 year degree at New Jersey City University. The program is really top notch and prepared me to be an effective officer in my department. The staff was incredible and the director Prof. Malley is the main reason I went there. I would suggest the program to anyone. They took I believe 6 transfers for FF1 and FF2 and you may be able to get some for your EMT. Application is easy 1 meeting with Prof. Malley and he will set you up. Alot of the Fire Science classes are now being offered online so they maybe able to work with you there. Good Luck!
I hve just finished my evaluation process with Columbia Southern University. I have not taken a class yet but I hear they are very good. Had an experience with Empire State that wasn't so good. CSU seems to be godo so far
Check out University of New Haven in Connecticut. They have a great growing fire science program. I finished mine in 2002 w/ a B.S. in Fire Administration; a B.S. in Fire/Arson Investigation; A.S. Fire and Occupational Safety; and a minor in Criminal Justice. They also have fire protection Engineering. Classes are small so you get very good attention from your teachers. I did an internship w/ the New Haven Fire Marshal's Office which the school set up for me. Haven't been there in a while so your gonna have to look at the mumbo-jumbo on your own. Good luck. If your looking to just be a firefighter, then I wouldn't bother getting a degree in fire science. It won't help you get a job faster or move up the chain of command faster. it'll only help you w/ your own knowledge. Get a degree in something you could use as a side job.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service