Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

If your department staffs an ambulance that is on initial dispatch to fires, what firefighting equipment and tools do you carry? Currently we only have SCBA's, flash/box lights. We'd like to get a few tools without going overboard. We are often first or second on scene to fires, usually making us Initial RIC, completing 2 in 2out. I'm thinking Irons and search rope. Any other things that you can't live without?

Views: 939

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the post, I've never thought to bring it up before. We are also dispatched to fires with our ambo. One house brings the engine with at least two and the other brings the ambo depending on the still. We carry irons and air packs with escape ropes attached. Not much room left for anything else. A question I have though is for those of you that are going to fires expecting to work is there another ambo called for ems or are you expected to come out and provide treatment if needed? This issue has been brought up many times for us. Often the ambo crew goes in, due to low intial staffing, then when we get the fire under control the ic will clear them up to go on an ems run right away. Also if ems is needed on scene we would have to provide that. They tried for a while to have us just stage our ems equip and stay out but that did not last very long due to the staffing issue. Just looking for some input on how you guys handle it.

Thanks,
Erbe
On are department it is required for all of us to have are emt-b. The crew that will make entry is the passenger on the pumper and the passenger from the tanker. Then when the equipment truck shows up we will have more personal on that. When the ambulance
shows on scene they will be given a job to do by the ic. If we have to we will call in another ambulance from another department . If the fire scene is something small and if we get an ambulance call they will brake from the scene and respond to the call.
Brandon Erbe said:
Thanks for the post, I've never thought to bring it up before. We are also dispatched to fires with our ambo. One house brings the engine with at least two and the other brings the ambo depending on the still. We carry irons and air packs with escape ropes attached. Not much room left for anything else. A question I have though is for those of you that are going to fires expecting to work is there another ambo called for ems or are you expected to come out and provide treatment if needed? This issue has been brought up many times for us. Often the ambo crew goes in, due to low intial staffing, then when we get the fire under control the ic will clear them up to go on an ems run right away. Also if ems is needed on scene we would have to provide that. They tried for a while to have us just stage our ems equip and stay out but that did not last very long due to the staffing issue. Just looking for some input on how you guys handle it.

Thanks,
Erbe
Erik,

The post by Micheal Bricault makes the most sense to me. He states that the equipment must be dictated by the mission and I couldn't agree more. However I keep hearing the same thing from all of the posts. It appears to be the consensis that the ambulance is the first or one of the first to arrive. With that in mind, it is logical to think of what is first for our strategies and tactics.

Rescue: What do you need for this? Search line. Forcible entry kit. Water can. What about an Attic ladder? It makes a great stretcher and allows for access and egress into some hairy places. It is invaluable for Denver Drill type situations. We always remember it only after we need it.

I know what you're thinking. Where am I going to put an eight foot attic ladder? Answer: right up against the wall and the floor in the patient compartment down by the stretcher. Give it a try, see if it works.

Good luck.
In our area, Squad(Ambo) crews respond to a working structure with every intent on going to "work." When the crews arrive on scene, Command will tell them if they are a working crew or an EMS crew. If they are assigned as a working crew, Command will request another Squad(Ambo) for EMS.

Brandon Erbe said:
Thanks for the post, I've never thought to bring it up before. We are also dispatched to fires with our ambo. One house brings the engine with at least two and the other brings the ambo depending on the still. We carry irons and air packs with escape ropes attached. Not much room left for anything else. A question I have though is for those of you that are going to fires expecting to is there another ambo called for ems or are you expected to come out and provide treatment if needed? This issue has been brought up many times for us. Often the ambo crew goes in, due to low intial staffing, then when we get the fire under control the ic will clear them up to go on an ems run right away. Also if ems is needed on scene we would have to provide that. They tried for a while to have us just stage our ems equip and stay out but that did not last very long due to the staffing issue. Just looking for some input on how you guys handle it.

Thanks,
Erbe
We run ALS Rescue Trucks that both transport to the ED's and also are dispatched on House or Building Fires. Depending on the order of arrival, usually the Rescue is the Truck company. They will do the primary search, ventilation, or RIT. Depending on the Captain of the truck and their response area, these trucks do not carry the same equipment. The Rescue that runs out of our house has: Full set of Irons Axe, Sledge, Halligan, Pick Axe, Bolt cutters(2 sizes) cheater bar, pipe wrench, hydrant wrenches, other tools, Tool Box, High Rise Bag, Portable Standpipe, High Rise Pack, 150' of inch and 3 quarter, K12, Sthil Chain Saw, 2 roof hooks, plastrer hook, 2 water cans, CO2 and Dry Chem, TIC, 4 Rope Bags, SCBA's, 2 Dive Tanks Cribbing, 3 extra SCBA bottles. Some other Resuces have Air Chissels, Rabbit Tool, Come-a-long...
If the Alarm is a confirmed House fire another rescue is dispatched to be Medical.
Attachments:
SCBA, Irons that include an 8 lbs force axe, a 2 1/2 gal can and a 6 ft steel hook.
Hello guys,here for soe information,

pulaskis, McCLeods, chainsaws, shovel's, monkey paws a little rake, bent shovels bosleys, pin shovels, whompers a tool used for pounding wedges into trees, regular shovels, falling axe. Some crews have devised their own specialty tool such as a Super P, which is basically a pulaski with a bigger grubbing end on it. These are thenames of the tools that we carry. Also there is a tool named the combi tool. I have seen those used out there as well. There are also strange names for other tools out there..

[url=http://www.cogswell.edu/FireScience.html]Fire Science University[/url]
In our areas the ambulances are all ALS and are called Squads. They are staffed with at least 2-3 Firefighter/paramedics. the equipment carried is 2-3 SCBA's, irons, pickhead, sledge, water extinguisher, hydrant wrenches, box lights, and some companies carry roof hooks as well. When a "Squad" is dispatched on a box alarm, they go to work usually as a vent or search team. There are many scenarios where they arrive 1st due and they will make entry for a search, vent, or quick grab befor the rest of the alarm arrives. there are other scenarios where the Squad Co makes the water supply for the 1st due Engine Co if the 2nd due Engine Co has not arrived yet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service