Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Does anyone have an apartment building in their district that resmbles the attached diagram below? If so do you have any preplans or response guidelines?

Views: 255

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try drew Smith, I took a class of his and he showed us a picture of a building like that and how to respond to it.

Todd McKee
Todd,

Thanks for the input, but who is Drew Smith and how can I contact him?

Todd McKee said:
Try drew Smith, I took a class of his and he showed us a picture of a building like that and how to respond to it.

Todd McKee
There are a few ways to find Drew Smith, 1) http://community.fireengineering.com/profile/DrewSmith 2) Go to members tab with in the community and where it says search type in Drew Smith. I just did this and only one shows up. He is good getting back with people. Leave him a message or see if he has a link to his website and contact him there. If no luck let me know and I will get a hold of him for you. Good Post! Todd McKee

Gregory Banks said:
Todd,

Thanks for the input, but who is Drew Smith and how can I contact him?

Todd McKee said:

Todd McKee
I worked for Sarasota County several years ago. I was stationed on Siesta Key, Sta. 13, where we had a multiple story complex like your diagrahm. I don't remember the name of the complex, but we had a pre-plan. You might be able to get some results from them. I don't know who to contact now but try the following - B/C Chris Milkovich, Fire Liaison PSCC, cmilkovich@scgov.net.
No promises if he's the right contact but he can direct you in the right direction.

Verne Riggall
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Verne E. Riggall said:
I worked for Sarasota County several years ago. I was stationed on Siesta Key, Sta. 13, where we had a multiple story complex like your diagrahm. I don't remember the name of the complex, but we had a pre-plan. You might be able to get some results from them. I don't know who to contact now but try the following - B/C Chris Milkovich, Fire Liaison PSCC, cmilkovich@scgov.net.
No promises if he's the right contact but he can direct you in the right direction.

Verne Riggall
Apartment building? No.

But, the Rice Street Jail in Atlanta, Ga, has a similar construction cross-section.
The Indigo apartment complex in Dallas, TX is constructed in this "tri-wing" shape. This is the same building in which we have had two fires in the last four years. Several problems exist with this building but the most notable is the absence of a sprinkler system. The basement is the only area that does contain sprinklers. Standpipes are located within the common hall approximately 15-20 ft from the stairwells. Stairwells are located at the end of each wing. There is one additional stairwell in the center of the building adjacent to the elevators and is also the only one that allows roof access. Another problem is the type of occupancy. Approximately fifty percent or more of the occupants are elderly and need assistance using the stairs during fire emergencies. As for any preplans or special guidelines for this structure there are none other than the typical prefire plan required for this type of structure. The greatest asset that we have in responding to a fire at this structure is conducting a periodic walk-through (not necessarily an inspection because the management of buildings are more likely to allow this if you tell them you just want to see what you're up against) and the number of non-fire emergencies answered at this location. Feel free to contact me further for more info as there are numerous other details that we could write for days about. Please email me at baker26@gmail.com
Thank you for the reply, the occupancy is an apartment building, and as it sounds has the same locations of stairs and standpipe connections.
Yes we have a very similar style building and unfortunately it happens to also be a nursing home with three stories! The biggest thing we worked on was finding a guaranteed spot for placement of an platform for occupant rescue from second and third floors. And this spot also required the replacement of a 2/0 window to that of a 5/0. But try to keep in mind as well as to have good knowledge of not only where the O2 shutoffs are but how and when to use it. Which hopefully you don't have to. Good luck with the task

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service