Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Our Department is sending 12 personnel to become trained as trainers in Water/Ice, Confined Space, Rope, Trench, Structural Collapse, and Machinery/Vehicle extrication. The 12 personnel would conduct training in these areas of discipline to our department members.

What are your recommendations to receive this training? How was your past experience in receiving this training? The organizations that you recommend are they IFSAC accredited, do they meet all the applicable NFPA standards? Do you know the estimated cost for tuition and lodging?

Contact names, phone numbers and websites would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Sal

Views: 209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jim-
The company that I work for sends people to ROCO and Texas A&M for off site training. They both teach many of the areas you are looking at. These are their web sites, they have pricing and contacts listed. Hope this helps
www.rocorescue.com
www.teex.com
Chris
Brent, yes they have have or will have Instructor 1 and we want them trained to the technician level in all disciplines. Unfortunately our State does not offer a State Fire Academy (Kansas). We realize this is going to take some time to get everyone trained in these areas, but it offers a more cost effective approach than trying to send 30 people.

Your input is appreciated and if you have any recommendations please let me know.

Thank you,
Sal

Brent Sanger said:
Any accredited training organization, if they receive accreditation from IFSAC, Pro Board, or any state fire academy, has training that meets the applicable NFPA standards, as the accrediting boards take their cues from the appropriate NFPA standard to write their training. Are you sending your personnel to be trained to the technician level or a lower level? And are the personnel you are sending to receive this training, are they already trained to a minimum of Fire Instructor 1, seeing as how you want them to be trainers when they return?

To keep costs to a minimum, I would look starting close to home, such as your state fire academy. Also, keep in mind that you are listing a LOT of training classes, and it might take a year to get everyone trained up to the level you want them to be as trainers.
Sal, I would have to agree with Brent on his suggestion of getting trained by ROCO Inc. When Philadelphia Rescue 1 was re-organized in 1991 we sent numerous members to Baton Rouge to get basic rope rescue and confined space training. That training became an integral part of the basis of all five of our Speacial Operation disciplines (excluding basic vehicle extrication). At the time ROCO was an established yet fairly young company and has since grown to offer various levels of training from beginner to technician. They offer lodging options and top notch training and it would be worth your while to check them out.

If I could be of any assistance, please feel free to email me.

Craig
Firefighter/EMS Training Source
www.rapidfiresoftware.com
Jim,

While the state does not have a "state fire academy" it does rely on KUFST. KUFST does offer all tech rescue courses through techincian/ level 2 ( NFPA 1006). They are IFSAC accredited and follow 1006 guidelines. KUFST on the Tech rescue side has several contract instructor who also teach for some of the other national training company's already listed in other replys. With the creation of "crisis city" in Salina ( modeled after TEEX " disaster city") slated to start limited operations later this year you should be able to recieve most if not all of this training in state. As of right now the only courses not offered are Swift Water.

If you want to contact me off line scott463@sbcglobal.net

Jim Saladin said:
Brent, yes they have have or will have Instructor 1 and we want them trained to the technician level in all disciplines. Unfortunately our State does not offer a State Fire Academy (Kansas). We realize this is going to take some time to get everyone trained in these areas, but it offers a more cost effective approach than trying to send 30 people.

Your input is appreciated and if you have any recommendations please let me know.

Thank you,
Sal

Brent Sanger said:
Any accredited training organization, if they receive accreditation from IFSAC, Pro Board, or any state fire academy, has training that meets the applicable NFPA standards, as the accrediting boards take their cues from the appropriate NFPA standard to write their training. Are you sending your personnel to be trained to the technician level or a lower level? And are the personnel you are sending to receive this training, are they already trained to a minimum of Fire Instructor 1, seeing as how you want them to be trainers when they return?

To keep costs to a minimum, I would look starting close to home, such as your state fire academy. Also, keep in mind that you are listing a LOT of training classes, and it might take a year to get everyone trained up to the level you want them to be as trainers.
I want to thank everyone for all the input I received in regards to this topic, we are meeting tommorow to go over this information and try to come to a conclusion for our avenue of training.

Sal

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service