Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

It seems like we've gotten into a really bad habit of telling our new firefighters when they walk in the door, to "Shut up and speak only if you're spoken to!" First off, that's a horrible way to start off someone's fire service career. Second, it does nothing but curb the enthusiasm that we all complain that our new guys don't have in the first place.

…so what do you do or what does your department do, to prepare your new firefighters for their first day and first few months on the job?

…what are you doing, programs, etc., to recruit new firefighters both on the paid side and the volunteer side?

…I know we've gotten much better at controlling some of the “out-of-bounds” practical jokes that go on. Yes, a lot of them are fun and well worth it, but I think we’ve really gotten away from some of the really stupid stuff that we used to do. Your thoughts?

…have you read Battalion Chief Jerry Wells’ article in the December issue of Fire Engineering “The Rookie Firefighter” and what are you doing differently?

Isn’t this where a lot of the Pride and Ownership stuff should be starting, with our new firefighters??

Let’s hear what ya got!

Views: 1340

Replies to This Discussion

Chief,

I was recently very pleased and I must say proud of a group of 12 candidates. During their first week of orientation, I asked them to consider the discussions that I would have with them about Duty, Pride and Tradition and the discussions the Union Board members would have with them (yes, we have the Union Board members discuss issues of Duty, Pride and Tradition with candidates) and the discussions the would have with the Battalion Chiefs etc... I then asked them to reach consensus on a design for their class T-shirt. The "senior" candidate was assigned to lead the project and I took a chance and allowed them to have the shirts made without my final approval. The result was a shirt with our department logo on the front with "Dirty Dozen" in an arch above. The back was the band of brothers (firefighter style) graphic on the upper back with the following below: BRINGING OUR BEST, TO A GREAT TRADITION

I felt that they got the message we wanted them to hear in the first week.

Art
Hey brother Art,

I think the discussions are not just needed, they are required. Hats off to you guys! And believe it or not, there are a lot of departments with some chiefs that are progressive that involve their unions in the process and I think that's awesome.

Great job pal and thanks for sharing.

Be safe,

Rick
Hey Chief,

As a Volunteer ,the rookies of my company are treated with respect the same I look for. I started in 1973 when what was called a black ball system brought members in or out. I saw many a good firefighters lost due to this system until it was outlawed. Our rookies are started with the history of our department and company and what it means to be a firefighter in our community. They are explained the PRIDE that has followed the traditions from1869(dept) to the PRIDE and Trend setting of our company(1903) and the countless generations of family members that have come and gone. Be proud in the fact it takes a special breed of people who do what we do and the Brotherhood that comes with it. They and their family are a part of everything we do from the signing of their application to whatever goals they choose. We attend their rookie school (FF1) and encourage them in their ups and downs and give them the old water can wet down upon graduation. They are explained they are the future that will continue the traditions of the past and what it means for them to creat new traditions they can be proud of and pass on today. We encourage and many do, go on to test for career positions which adds to the Pride of who and what they have become FIREFIGHTERS and FIREFIGHTER/EMT's! Our History is Rich with PRIDE still today only because our rookies continue it ! Our company particapation in the Hindenburg Disaster is a chest expander and gets an "AWESOME" every time that part of our history is passed on to them. I must say , I am PROUD to have the opportunity to write this as I too was a rookie and through Traditions, History, and Respect that was given to me, 35 years later I am even Prouder than the day I started ! Six years ago my son joined as a JR FF, starting a family tradition, became a rookie, respected firefighter and today he is interviewing for Arlington County VA. FD. " WOW " ,Please excuse me while I go let some air out of my head ! LOL

STAY SAFE !!
Respectfully
Captain Dennis
How fricking awesome!! This is the kind fo stuff we need to get more departments doing buddy. Even if they just did a little of what you are doing it would be big!

Thanks for sharing buddy and don't let too much air out!! This is the kind of stuff we need more people bragging about.

Way to go pal!!

Be safe,

Rick
Starting this past January when we hired 3 new fiefighters we instituted our first "Official" orientation class for recruits. The 4 hour presentation is based on the "Pride and Ownership" podcast downloaded from Fire Engineering. We took specific sections of the podcast, placed it in a video editing program and utilized photos from our department. These sections ranged from 3- 6 minutes each. We then used a Power Point presentation to reinforce the presented topic and relate it to our department. We also covered firefighter health and safety issues.

We stress that new recruits must protect and improve on what they have been provided. The program was very well recveived and was repeated in March when another 4 recruits were hired.
Great idea Bryan. I think it's so important to do what you are doing by making them protect and improve what they received. How cool!

Great job brother and thanks for sharing.

Be safe,

Rick
Chief Lasky,

Thanks for the positive response- just trying to continue your fantastic work here in northeast Ohio! I've used some things from your book in other ways to encourage the brotherhood and tradition.
We replaced two stations ( one built in 1927 and the other 1949) last year with new ones. A week or so before we moved, our IAFF Local sponsored a "Last Supper" event. We invited all current and retired Parma firefighters to a pasta dinner at each of the two houses for a final meal. We had a great turnout and I really enjoyed hearing the guys now in their 70's or 80's telling stories of how "we used to do it". I think they really appreciated the opportunity as well. We then took them on tours of the new buildings and in a surprise move, our Asst. Chief had the longest serving retired member from each old house raise the first flag over the new one. A group picture was taken at each of the old houses as well.
I served on our planning committee for the new buildings. The initial design called for a large "1" or "2" respectively to be placed on the front side of the hose tower, signifying the station number. After reading your book, i submitted a new design that our Asst. Chief approved. We added "Engine Company" above the number and "Established 1924 (49)" below it to show when the company was formed. It not only looks great but it adds a sense of history to the new buildings. I will post pics of these on my home page.

Chief, I can't thank you enough for your book, web casts (which are kept on my ipod (for constant recharging of my personal batteries) and for all of the survival training that you have provided us. I'm sure one day our paths will cross at a conference and I will have the chance to thank you in person.

Take care,

Bryan Downie
Bryan,

Thanks for your kind words brother. You made my day buddy!

Be safe and we'll get hooked up one day.

Rick
Chief Lasky,

I'm a member of a department that is a booming town south of Nashville, TN. With the growth our department change has occured, not just in size, but in mission as well. Last year my department began providing non-transport ALS care for our town of approx. 59,000 residents for the first time in the city's history With this new mission in ALS care the recruitment focus changed from looking for the best firefighters around to looking for the best paramedics regardless of past firefighting experience. Granted as most will agree we have began being more focused on the medical side in the past years due to the reduction in fires and increase call volume for medical calls.

For our recruits, when they are hired they attend an 8 week rookie school, that covers the gament of topics. Most classes are instructed by on-shift personnel in order to receive their rookie training from the men and women in operations. It appears to work well and once they complete the entry level training fit well into the operations. I think the issue sometimes is not that we haze our new recruits, but some come in the door with this attitude that the guys want their opion on everything regardless of the topic based on their past experience and sometime forget what the title of "low man" means.

As a transplant to Tennessee, being originally from Michigan, our department is staffed with a " heinz 57" mix of guys who are originally from the area or from states north, south, east, and west of TN. Bringing all these level of experience and different ways of doing things its always an interesting endeavour in rookie school and in the firehouse as well.

All in all I think we treat our recruits well and try to make them feel like part of the family. A number of us are members of the FOOLS so we always try to get the new guys involved with our chapter to keep the meaning of what the brotherhood is and to respect our traditions.
Hi Shawn,

I agree buddy, reality is that most are providing EMS and I'm glad that they do. It's always a challenge recruiting and even more so setting the environment for the right attitude. I also agree the right thing to do is not haze a new recruit, (there's nothing wrong with a good short sheeting or the "fun" things as long as it doesn't get out of hand). But I really believe having that talk about where they sit in seniority and what they are going to have to do to show their shift that they belong on the department is important as well.

Thanks for sharing brother and be safe!

Rick
Well said brother!
Chief,

In the City of Waco to the south of you, over the last 4 years or so we have implemented a system of mentorship that has some positives. We, hire pre-certified firefighters and each goes through a 3-4 class with the Training Division that covers the "how we do things" as far as hose loads, supply lines, general orientation, etc. Rookies are also taught hazmat technician skills in this class. They are then assigned to a fire company as the "4th man" on companies that a re minimum staffed normally with 3 personnel. They ride for 1 month on a company, then a second month at another company. The companies are in the busy sections of the City, but also with officers that are hand-picked to be mentors for their first 2 months "out on the floor." At the end of the 2 months, meetings and evaluations are held with the chief's and the officers involved on the rookie's progress. They are then allowed into the general population as floating firefighters to ride as "3rd man" positions. Allowing the firefighters to be evaluated as part of an extra-staffed company helps if there are any mis-steps along the way, but they also benefit from working with officers who are willing to work with them; at least during the early part of their careers when they are so impressionable. - I always sit them down and show them your Pride and Ownership DVD sometime during their month with me....hehe

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service