Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hey, just curious what you guys think is the best type of apparatus to have on scene of a residential structure fire first. This would include a truck, a quint, an engine, or a rescue, assuming command in already on scene. I know there are a lot of variables but im looking for a general idea.
Thanks
Michael Haefner

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MY APPARATUS!

Sorry I couldn't resist. As long as the first arriving unit follows the proper priorities (RED RECEO SUV RIT) then it doesn't matter who arrives first.
I think that each type of apparatus can play a critical part in the overall incident and it does not matter what gets there first because it is going to take a cooridinated effort by the FF's on these pieces. Each member should be comfortable with his/her 1st Due responsibilities vs. 2nd or 3rd Due. Each member should also be comfortable with jobs usually performed by other companies just in case the Truck is held up or the Engine has on scene problems. Your IC may ask you to perform a taks that is needed and we have to be able to adapt safely and efficiently.
water and a crew is a good answer. I would prefer to have a quint as the first on scene. You have ground ladders on it, LDH, an aerial stick, a water tank and a pump. Just my opinion though.
I would say an engine company. You have water, usually at least 1 ladder some forcible entry tools and ems equipment. Put the fire out and everything else will get better.
My opinion is a well placed engine company, hopefully staffed w/ 4 as a minimum. I totally agree with PJ pay attention to your first alarm assignment and leave room for the truck company or quint. Stretch the proper line, knockdown the fire, other problems tend to somewhat disappear.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service