Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Do you have a Social Netwoking Policy? In Colleton County, a South Carolina paramedic and firefighter was fired earlier this month because of a video he posted on Facebook. Brown’s situation is similar to an increasing number of disciplinary actions being taken against firefighters for social networking. The case shows the challenge that fire service leaders and firefighters face in dealing with social media issues. What appears to be uncontroverted is that Brown created an animated video at a web site, xtranormal.com, on which you can create cartoon-like characters, type in a script, and the characters will speak in a robotic-like language. The video involved two characters, a white firefighter and a black doctor, set in the emergency department of a hospital.  

There are thousands of social networking sites other than Facebook, Twitter, My Space, Linkedin, with some of the thousands to inlcude: Advogato, Amie Street, ANobii, aSmallWorld, Athlinks , The Auteurs, Avatars United, BabyCenter, Badoo, Bebo, Bigadda, BigTent, Biip, BlackPlanet, Blogster, Bolt.com, Books iRead, Buzznet, CafeMom, Cake Financial, Care2, Cellufun, Classmates.com, Cloob, CollegeBlender, CouchSurfing, DailyBooth, DailyStrength, Decayenne, deviantART, DigitalVerse.org, Disaboom, Dol2day, DontStayIn, Draugiem.lv, Elftown, Epernicus, Eons.com, Experience Project, Exploroo, Facebook, Faceparty, Faces.com, Fetlife, Fillos de Galicia, FilmAffinity, FledgeWing, Flixster, Flickr, Fotolog, Foursquare, Friends Reunited, Friendster, Frühstückstreff, Fubar, Gaia Online, GamerDNA, Gather.com, Gays.com, Geni.com, Gogoyoko, Goodreads, Google Buzz, Gossipreport.com, Grono.net, Habbo, hi5, Hospitality Club, Hyves, Ibibo LinkedIn, Listography, LiveJournal, Meetup.com, and Meettheboss.   

Is a policy needed? Most certainly. Do you have one that you are willing to share? Please do.

Twitter with caution

Be Safe

John

Views: 955

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funny - how true and what a great movie

Larry Lasich said:
My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.

When will you be back?

I can't tell you that. It's classified.
Airplane!
I run a video blog and I'm very careful to not put any company logos anywhere or talk about anything or anybody...I enjoy my freedom of speech but I really enjoy my department and my job! It should be common sense in this area...but common sense is usually the least common thing!
Excellent points - common sense is not all that common

Be safe

John

Justin Lewis said:
I run a video blog and I'm very careful to not put any company logos anywhere or talk about anything or anybody...I enjoy my freedom of speech but I really enjoy my department and my job! It should be common sense in this area...but common sense is usually the least common thing!
While I'm a frequent poster on Facebook, and new to the FE Training Community, I have made it a personal policy to only post items referring to my department or incidents which bring credit to it. We all have issues within our department which may irk us. However, social networking sites are not the place to work them out. This is especially true of personnel conflicts or disagreements with command, the city, or the rules & regulations in place.

Most importantly, we have to protect the citizens not just from hazards at an incident, but also any personally-identifying information which may bring embarassment on them.

As for my time on-duty, I usually don't use Facebook or any other social network. We've had instances where firefighters have been logged on and left the station without logging out. You can only imagine what kind of fun firefighters have with an open Facebook account which isn't theirs'.
The question i rasie is this with social networking do we have the right to punish a member who makes comments regarding other members and or the dept. /

Could you send me a copy of one , we currently do not i would be interested in forwarding to my Board.
Can do

Mike France said:
The question i rasie is this with social networking do we have the right to punish a member who makes comments regarding other members and or the dept. /

Could you send me a copy of one , we currently do not i would be interested in forwarding to my Board.
For Social Media Policies, take a look at the list available at the link below. If you want to pick and chose, this is about as comprehensive as you are going to get.

You may have to cut and paste the website below.

http://www.compliancebuilding.com/about/publications/social-media-p...

Be safe
John,
We are having alot of the same issues with social networking as many other departments are having. Can you send me any info that you may have, like you sent Mike Fance?

John K. Murphy said:
Can do

Mike France said:

Ed,

Here is a great link for Social Media Policies. I have not created one but this is from many different industries in managing this issue. Go to:

http://www.compliancebuilding.com/about/publications/social-media-p...

Be safe

John

Ed Huff said:
John,
We are having alot of the same issues with social networking as many other departments are having. Can you send me any info that you may have, like you sent Mike Fance?

John K. Murphy said:
Can do

Mike France said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service