Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

My department currently is using a system that alerts all three stations every time a call comes in day or night. Our union is trying to make a switch that would alert only the station(s) that have to respond after 10 p.m. at night. Has anyone done any research on how being awakened all night can effect firefighters? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you get a call at night your body does the whole "fight or flight" thing and releases epinepherine. Your heart rate rises also. Having your heart rate rise and hormones pumped into your heart is bad on multiple levels. It's been determined that a tone which "ramps" from soft to loud is much better for firefighter health.

Look at this site and read the associated articles for more detailed information. Good luck bro.

http://www.firestationalerting.com/content/view/23/31/

Jason
Brother, nothing that breaks up your sleep is good. What kind of shift do you work? What is your hang over and call back policy? Two days of that stuff will make you dangerous. There is no reason to wake up people that are not going. We have a combo department that puts Engine crews and EMS in different sleep rooms so that structure guys don't get up for calls that don't need manpower.

If everyone is going on no sleep from the time you take your shift, until the time you head home, decisions ARE going to suffer. It's a great way to have people fall asleep at the wheel. I hope that you can work with your dispatch and fix this.

In the mean time, stay safe.

Larry
WE HAVEN'T DONE ANY RESEARCH, BUT WE HAVE A UNIQUE SYSTEM. ALL THE 911 CALLS COME OVER THE INTERCOM AT ALL 3 STATIONS. THE ADVANTAGE IS THAT EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON AND EVERYONE HAS AN IDEA OF WHAT THE CALL IS. I PERSONALLY BELIEVE IT LOWERS THE ADRENALINE RUSH THAT RECENT STUDIES RELATE TO HEART PROBLEMS IN FF. THE DOWN SIDE IS THAT WE ALL GET WOKEN UP NO MATTER WHO'S CALL IT IS. I THINK IT WORKS WELL
We have four houses and we hear all radio traffic and tones over the night. To be honest with you I can sleep through everyone else s tones its the squeak at the end that wakes me up for my trucks calls. I guess I can see pros and cons from both sides on this, personally I would like to know what the other houses have, but like I said I sleep through them anyways:) Good luck and keep me posted im curious how this turns out for you.
Our union over here down under fought this battle several years ago. We now have tones that ramp up from quiet, as well as dimmers on the lights so they don't come at full brightness. It makes a huge difference to the state you get on the truck in. I'm currently working at a station that hasn't got it right yet and it feels like I have to get down off the ceiling before I can get dressed. I hate it. We certainly don't get called for other station's turn outs. There are several studies that recognise "alarm stress" as being very detrimental to our health. It would be difficult for an organisation to ignore this problem if clear facts were provided to show a health issue and a means of preventing it were provided (one would hope!).
Good luck

Mike D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service