Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I spent some time earlier tonight surfing youtube for firefighter close calls. I was amazed by dumb things we still do. I will give every one the benefit of the doubt not being in "that" particular situation at that time. How would I act? Who knows. There are so many variables to take into account no one can truly say good or bad other than those who were there and I pray in those bad decisions they sat back and critiqued what they did and hopefully learned from it.I understand the training side of it, some of these videos are crucial especially for rookies to learn from. But at what cost... The common thing I have noticed in these reply's under the videos is how quick brother turns on brother. The nasty comments and or plain ridicules ones only put their to discredit or embarrass our own family. How do these remarks help us? Being on the inside of our fraternity looking out im ashamed of us! More importantly how does this look to the taxpayer? In their eyes are we merely the stereotypical stupid firefighter? Perhaps technology is simply putting an age old problem smack in our face, and showing our family's short comings to the world to criticize. My solution......(1) I feel we have let ourselves down on training, and continuing education. We are not doing enough to keep our selves safe, we need to work harder to keep our selves and brothers alive. With the modern technology we have and all of the good schooling thats available, its idiotic how we are still killing our own brothers and sisters.(2) If your a person who is quick to criticize another brother on a video posted. Get the whole story first, and if you still disagree with what they did on the run and feel like Monday morning quarterbacking try to be constructive. Maybe you will both learn something from that run, instead of breading hate rid within our family. Nobody's perfect and not every scene is text book, don't try to make yourself look smarter at their expense. Lets not forget that we are all blessed in working and living within the greatest profession in the world. Lets all do our part to keep it that way and to leave it better than when we started in it.
Im not sure if this was the best place to start this post. But it felt right at the time. If you disagree with me on my feelings that's fine, but this has been eating away at me and I had to get it out. I felt this qualified under the "Pride and Ownership" philosophy of change for the better. Thank you for your time and please stay safe and positive.

Views: 107

Replies to This Discussion

Shawn,
I understand where you are coming from. It truely is the greatest job on earth and we need to defend it! Some advice that was given to me awhile back is change one brother at a time. In time it's a company, continue until it's as department and never stop. Firefighters are not fond of change, and all of us are guilty of playing Monday morning quarterback, sometime in our career. Things have changed for the better in the 25 years I've been on the job, but we have a long way to go. Keep the Faith Brother, one member at a time.

Stay Safe
Jeff
Well said and point taken..."One Brother at a time"

KTF-DTRT-EGH

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service