Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Gents,

We have been field testing light-weight 21/2" hose for stand-pipe operations. The two types we have tested thus far have fallen short of expectations. They have proven to kink very easily and are far more "flexible" than the regular 21/2". The flexability adds to problems with line management abd the kinking issues are obviously not good. I am looking for the most rigid, kink-resistant light-weight hose without having to buy all of the possibilities.

I would be greatful for any input.

Thanks,
Art

Views: 648

Replies to This Discussion

I get back with you tomorrow on this as to what we use.
Hey Mike,

Thanks.

I was really sorry to hear of the loss of your member, Chris Dill. My thoughts are with you, the OKC Fire Department and his family.

Art
Forget about light-weight hose. Someone needs to invent light-weight water!
Ray,

I guess you are not a fan of light weight. So far, I would have to agree. The light-weight we have tried falls far short of an acceptable replacement. I'm just wondering if anyone has found a respectable alternative, or.....does it not exist?

Thanks,

Art
Two years ago we switched from one firefighter carrying 100’ of 1 ¾” attackline to that FF now carrying one 50’ section of 2 ½” attackline. The 1 ¾” bundle weighed 40 lbs.

We narrowed it down to the following choices of double jacket hose:

Niedner XL800 – 20.5 lbs. Didn’t make the cut, soft outside jacket wears easy.

Mercedes MTFS-800DP – 21 lbs. Lining not attached to the jacket, what a pain.

National Fire Hose – 23.5 lbs. Much tougher jacket and it’s attached.

We didn’t go for the lightest since each FF was to carry one section. Three pounds one way or another just not a factor. Even if we pack and carry the hose in our 2 ½” static bed it only weighs out at 27 lbs.
I failed to mention the National Fire Hose is their Dura-Pak line.
Bro
Don't get lulled into the light weight hose thing. It does not work. The weight difference is not much when you set your rollups correctly. You are correct when you say it kinks up too much. I am in the belief that when they designed and tested this stuff, they had a 100 PSI combo nozzle on it. I will bet a weeks paycheck it did not kink then. When you put a low pressure SB nozzle on it, the stuff kinked horribly. Also think of the thermal protection. Long class 1 hallways get hot. Burn throughs are common with double jacketed hose. How does this stuff hold up? Go back to standard hose, and if manpower is the problem, wait. Someone will help you carry it! The fire is not going anywhere!
Les and Russ,

Thanks for the input. As I said, we had a lot of trouble with the light-weight 2 1/2". Over three days of stairwell lead-outs using both light weight and our standard 2 1/2", the regular old 2 1/2" provided the most reliable stretch without kinking. Perhaps we should stick with what we already know. Les, are all of the hoses you listed "standard" 2 1/2"? By that I mean not light-weight?

Thanks again gents.

Art
Art,
The Dura-Pak is the hose we ended up going to. It's not really light weight because there are certainly a lot out there that are much lighter. But like Russ stated being “light” was not the deciding factor. The light weight stuff that’s advertised as such weighs no more than a stick of 1 ¾” (14-19 lbs).

I’m curious as to the weight of your static bed 2 ½” hose? As I mentioned, ours is only 27 lbs. The truth is we would have been very happy if that’s what the department bought for our high-rise application. The idea for us was to spread out the load anyhow. We put some old cotton jacket stuff with brass couplings on the scales. That stuff weighed out at 36-38 lbs! I always knew my Dad was a stud.
Go Dad!

Les Chapel said:
Art,
The Dura-Pak is the hose we ended up going to. It's not really light weight because there are certainly a lot out there that are much lighter. But like Russ stated being “light” was not the deciding factor. The light weight stuff that’s advertised as such weighs no more than a stick of 1 ¾” (14-19 lbs).

I’m curious as to the weight of your static bed 2 ½” hose? As I mentioned, ours is only 27 lbs. The truth is we would have been very happy if that’s what the department bought for our high-rise application. The idea for us was to spread out the load anyhow. We put some old cotton jacket stuff with brass couplings on the scales. That stuff weighed out at 36-38 lbs! I always knew my Dad was a stud.
Les,

I would like to stick with the 2 1/2" in our static beds based on durability, resistance to wear and heat etc........ Just looking to answer everyones questions as to "light-weight" 2 1/2. I have not seen or found a reasonable replacement for our static hose. I agree that dividing the weight (one length per man) is lighter than the 2" standpipe pack. Thanks. Can I assume that your list is all "conventional" 2 1/2 that you also use as your static hose?

Art
Art
Conventinal Ponns duel jacket fire hose. Doesn't get any more basic than that!

Art Zern said:
Les,

I would like to stick with the 2 1/2" in our static beds based on durability, resistance to wear and heat etc........ Just looking to answer everyones questions as to "light-weight" 2 1/2. I have not seen or found a reasonable replacement for our static hose. I agree that dividing the weight (one length per man) is lighter than the 2" standpipe pack. Thanks. Can I assume that your list is all "conventional" 2 1/2 that you also use as your static hose?

Art

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service