Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Brothers and Sisters,

I'm looking for some samply policies from departments that allow their members to wear leather helmets. Is there anyone out there that is allowed to wear leather as long as they maintain it on their own? If so is their a department policy regulating that?

I'm just trying not to re-invent the wheel...if there is a good policy out there, I'd love to get a copy.

Thanks for the help!

Views: 2607

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We don't have an actual policy regarding leather helmet use, however there are several of us that prefer the use of leather helmets. Our chief has no issues with individuals using a helmet of their preference as long as it is within NFPA compliance. If at any time the piece of equipment is not compliant, it is to be taken out of service. But after you bringing the topic up, it would probably be nice to have that in writing somewhere, and additionally, have some one/way of police-ing the compliance. Hope that is of some help.
Good morning Scott,

We purchase standard helmets for the new hired firefighters, then if they want to purchase or wear leather, it is up to them, as long as it is NFPA approved. If damaged, we only provide amount of standard helmet towards replacement.
Eric and Michael,

Thank you so much for the information. I like the idea of the department paying up to the cost of the issued helmet. Eric, below is the language used by South Metro Fire (Colorado) in their policy on the use of personal leather helmets. I got it from their Training Chief, Mike West.

All personnel will be issued a NFPA 1971 compliant helmet by the district. Employees are allowed to purchase their own leather fire helmet so long as it meets current NFPA 1971 standards for fire helmets and matches department issued helmet in appearance. Employees using their own leather helmet instead of a department issued helmet shall assume all cost and responsibility of repair or maintenance of the helmet.
Our department will also let you use NFPA compliant gear instead of department issue i.e helmet, gloves, boots, however if it is damaged and needs replacement they will only reimburse the amount of the dept. issued gear, the balance is your responsibility.
Scott,

I'm copying the policy you guys use, I can see a need for it in the future. You know I'm a big fan of a leather lid, and as long as it meets the safety standards of the department and the employee will keep it up to those standards it shouldn't be an issue. I'm curious if there is some ridiculous law/standard/policy out there that says only the department issued gear can be worn.

Take care,
Brian
Thanks Brian! I was actually getting ready to send an invite to my Brother FOOLS to see what info they had! Thanks for getting that policy for me! Scotty

Brian Arnold said:
Scott,

I'm copying the policy you guys use, I can see a need for it in the future. You know I'm a big fan of a leather lid, and as long as it meets the safety standards of the department and the employee will keep it up to those standards it shouldn't be an issue. I'm curious if there is some ridiculous law/standard/policy out there that says only the department issued gear can be worn.

Take care,
Brian
Brent,

Thanks for the thoughts. I totally agree. We are lucky at my department with regard to a little flexibility in PPE. The department has recognized that not everone is built the same. We have two helmets members can choose from, there are two styles of gloves, and the bunker gear is custom fitted Morning Pride. It was not always like this. We used to have the standard low bid glove that you couldn't work in and the standard issue helmet too. We're fortunate we have been able make some changes that are better for the end users of the PPE.

Take care,
Scott
I have started a similar discussion based on some of the responses within this discussion in the Law Forum. It can be found and followed at;

http://community.fireengineering.com/forum/topic/show?groupUrl=fire...

I am interested in the legal opinion of the legal ramifications of members being allowed to wear their own equipment. This is the concern my department has as it appears others have the same. Please feel free to follow and comment within the Law Forum.

Stay Safe and Happy New Year.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service