Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

How should the attack line be held while advancing/operating at an offensive based fire? Should the pistol grip be used if line is equipped with one?

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have always done and have been taught one hand on the pistol grip other hand on the bail. It has always worked well for me and honestly never thought of doing it another way. In all honesty the only hand line nozzles we have for offensive FF are tack force tips with pistol grips.
Take care
My belief is that you should forget that that pistol grip is even there. The nozzel should be held at an arms distance away from you so you can get good mobility out of it. If you think about it, most of the time you are spraying water you should be on your knees or lower also if you need to roll to your back you have that extra line to use, if you are holding the grip you don't have enough line to work with. Around here we take the pistol grips off if we can. It teaches poor behavior to the new guys. Again just put the pipe out far enough that you can still reach the bail when you need to shut down. You will find it requres much less effort to spray that water around then if you are holding direclty onto the nozzel. Just basic firefighting that has been handed down, give it a try.
I agree you should forget about the pistol grip. The hose should be out in front a little ways but still able to reach the bail. If you get new members on or even with the vets. that are on you should train with out the grip. I was trained with out the grip and I'm glad about it to, because then I don't rely on that grip being there.
no pistol grips. They promote bad habits
Point taken... Will try next time and see how it works for me. I was always trained that way, but what your saying makes sense thanks

Brandon Erbe said:
My belief is that you should forget that that pistol grip is even there. The nozzel should be held at an arms distance away from you so you can get good mobility out of it. If you think about it, most of the time you are spraying water you should be on your knees or lower also if you need to roll to your back you have that extra line to use, if you are holding the grip you don't have enough line to work with. Around here we take the pistol grips off if we can. It teaches poor behavior to the new guys. Again just put the pipe out far enough that you can still reach the bail when you need to shut down. You will find it requres much less effort to spray that water around then if you are holding direclty onto the nozzel. Just basic firefighting that has been handed down, give it a try.
Here is a quick video we did to show a little about our engine operations class. Instead of typing it, I will post the link so you can take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kxLujBq_nM
My volly company just purchased new Protek pistol grip nozzles (1 3/4", 2 1/2"). Most of us don't care for them for the same reasons mentioned above. I feel as if I have more control of the nozzle if I don't hold the grip and keep it out in front, not on my hip.
Hey that was a great video. Very well put together. Hope others will see that and loose them pistol grips. Get job on the video.

Brotherhood Instructors, LLC said:
Here is a quick video we did to show a little about our engine operations class. Instead of typing it, I will post the link so you can take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kxLujBq_nM
Thanks Adam. We are doing an Engine & Ladder class on Friday in Illinois, and hope to get a few more videos up in the near future.

Adam Gannaway said:
Hey that was a great video. Very well put together. Hope others will see that and loose them pistol grips. Get job on the video.

Brotherhood Instructors, LLC said:
Here is a quick video we did to show a little about our engine operations class. Instead of typing it, I will post the link so you can take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kxLujBq_nM
Good deal. I'll be looking for them. Thanks and keep up the good work brother.

Brotherhood Instructors, LLC said:
Thanks Adam. We are doing an Engine & Ladder class on Friday in Illinois, and hope to get a few more videos up in the near future.

Adam Gannaway said:
Hey that was a great video. Very well put together. Hope others will see that and loose them pistol grips. Get job on the video.

Brotherhood Instructors, LLC said:
Here is a quick video we did to show a little about our engine operations class. Instead of typing it, I will post the link so you can take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kxLujBq_nM
Brandon Erbe hit the nail right on the head. Great job and great insight!
Thanks Brother, just trying to pass it on.

Shareef Abdu Nur said:
Brandon Erbe hit the nail right on the head. Great job and great insight!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archive/.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts


Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2020   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service