Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Do you wear Fire Gear under your LEvel A WHY or WHY NOT

Views: 379

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I am taking for granted that the product would be both flammable and toxic, high VP Low BP and LEL , wide flammable range, within a building or confined space that cannot be ventilated, and we absolutly have to enter to conduct some form of control measure. The other factor would be we just really dislike the guys on the entry team.

I think turn-out under Level A would have to be a last resort.
AJ: Thanks for the comment! Keep training brother- Todd
Todd,
I have done some hazmat and have not had the idea to wear my bunker gear under my level A. Heat stress would be the biggest concern until that suit caught fire then you would become like a potato wrapped in AL foil. Not a position I would want to be in. If the danger is too high then life safety takes over and let it burn. I would watch the fire from up wind and control what I could but not send my guys in to a life safety threat that high.
Excellent, I Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
The issue of "flash protection" is a sticky one... you have to monitor the atmosphere and be sure of the possibility of flammability. If this is a issue, then you must change the atmosphere; ie ventilation, vapor dispersion, ect.
I'm not an advocate of flash protection in or over my level A, turnouts are the best choice for fire protection. With the outercover on a level A you are protected frome flame contact, but the level A can still melt from the heat. I know there are some "exotic" chemicals out there, but what do you deal with on a daily basis?
If the level A is compromised, it does not matter what you have over it or under it.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service