Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

The Governor of New York State signed into law , legislation sponsored By Assemblyman Tim Gordon of Bethlehem , New york. The Blue light legislation will allow fire Apparatus and EMS Vehicles to add additional Blue lights to the Rear of Vehicles for Firefighter Safety. New York State Police and Local Police police depts were given permission years ago to add Blue lights to the rear of Police vehicles. FASNY states this law will increase Safety for Firefighters while in Traffic.

This law only pertains to Fire Apparatus and EMS Vehicles , NOT POV"S.

Views: 2325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good news, now to add to the budget for replacement lens and bulbs for the apparatus , only other concern is that i see in the future the volunteer ff in ny not being able to run blue lights on their pov, i might be wrong
-The post raises an interest topic, that of volunteers using "warning lights" on their personal vehicles. I would direct your attention to the post, "Green Courtesy Lights for Nova Scotia Volunteer Firefighters". The post addresses the specific issue of volunteer or off duty firefighters using colored "warning lights" to respond to a call.
-I will start by saying that I very much agree with Adam Miceli's post on the conversation as well as the data presented in the forum post.
-My personal opinion is that warning lights, any warning lights, should be reserved for official emergency vehicles and fire apparatus used during a legal Code 3 response, and that driving of said apparatus must be allowed only after the firefighter has completed a certifying driver/operator course, something along the lines of EVOC but with more hours. The inescapable reality is that driving Code 3 is very dangerous.
-My personal feeling is that most firefighters do not go through nearly enough driver/operator training for responding Code 3 in fire apparatus let alone responding to an emergency in a vehicle such as a P.O.V., which is not designed for such driving. And issuing lights to POV's just increases liability exponentially while inadvertently encouraging aggressive driving in a vehicle that is not official and not equipped to respond Code 3.
-Personnel in my dept. that want to drive apparatus must complete and pass an 80 hour INTENSIVE driver/operator course that includes class room time, legal responsibility, pumping an aerial operations on the drill field as well as Code 1&3 street driving. Additionally, there is 20 hours of actual documented street driving that must be completed before course completion. Upon completion firefighters receive state and nationally recognized certification to include EVOC and CEVO certification. For full time departments this is represents a serious time and financial commitment to the training program, and unfortunately the same results are almost unachievable for a VFD.
-Even in professional departments with the most stringent requirements it is still commonplace to observe firefighters ignoring the legal parameters set forth for safe and responsible Code 3 driving. In my area for example, Code 3 driving is regulated by state law. One of the most overlooked parameters is that emergency apparatus my exceed the posted speed limit no more than 10 mph and only then as the road/driving conditions allow. Permitting volunteers or off duty firefighters to drive with a courtesy light on their P.O.V. will exacerbate the already dangerous conditions created by Code 3 driving.
-A better approach to responses for volunteer fire depts. is what some VFD's are adopting here; bunker programs. In short, the VFD sets up a work schedule in which members sign up and commit to a tour of duty and stay in the station. Some VFD's even use some type of incentive and/or stipend for such scheduling.
-Code 3 driving however necessary, is still inescapably dangerous no matter what type of training is administered. All firefighters that drive apparatus Code 3 should receive more structured training in this area as well as mandatory refresher training. Code 3 driving is something most firefighters and officers do not take seriously enough and poor driving habits are tolerated and many times encouraged.
-Most civillian drivers are usually poor drivers with little training at best and all to often distracted by cell phones or stereos playing to loud for safe driving. To complicate this situation with Courtesy Lights is unnecessarily dangerous.

Even if the drivers were fully qualified in compliance with NFPA standards that does not assure the condition of the vehicle they are driving.  I have to wonder if any of them have been forced be economic conditions or family budget priorities to defer maintenance on some system that may make the vehicle unsuitable for the response task.  Merely street legal is not sufficient.  I imagine that we will eventually have to move to a retained firefighter system something like the one used in Great Britain.  The on call firefighters are paid when on duty and for the needed training time and work shifts in at the station ready to respond. 

--

Tom Horne, Speaking only for himself!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service