Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

We are looking at purchasing a used quint. 75 foot 1991 or newer. We are looking at some E-Ones and LTIs. Any input on these brands would be helpful.

Views: 252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just wanted to say that my department is currently selling a 1990 Sutphen 75' quint. It is in great condition. We are looking to make some department a good deal. We recently took delivery of a new quint and want to sell the old one. If you are interested at all let me know. Thanks
You can send me information. We are looking for a rear mounted aerial, overall length less than 38 feet and height under 12 feet so it can fit in the station. We cannot take trucks that don't meet these dimensions as it won't fit in the building.

Adam Farrar said:
Just wanted to say that my department is currently selling a 1990 Sutphen 75' quint. It is in great condition. We are looking to make some department a good deal. We recently took delivery of a new quint and want to sell the old one. If you are interested at all let me know. Thanks
To start off the Sutphen is a mid-mount aerial. It is 75' in aerial length, 197" wheelbase, 380" overall length, 131" overall hight. It has an enclosed cab with seating for 5. It has all of the ground ladders included with some pike poles. The truck has an onboard generator with two telescoping halogen lights and two 100' cord reels. It has a Hale 1500GPM pump with a 400 gallon water tank. There is 5 FireCom connection ports on the truck, 4 in the cab and one at the pump panel. The ladder has been UL tested and passed in 2009. Truck is in good shape. If you want pictures give me an email and I will send them. There is plenty more, just ask any question you want and I will get you the info.

afarrar@scottfire.org - my email address
E-mail norwich.fire.chief@comcast.net

Adam Farrar said:
To start off the Sutphen is a mid-mount aerial. It is 75' in aerial length, 197" wheelbase, 380" overall length, 131" overall hight. It has an enclosed cab with seating for 5. It has all of the ground ladders included with some pike poles. The truck has an onboard generator with two telescoping halogen lights and two 100' cord reels. It has a Hale 1500GPM pump with a 400 gallon water tank. There is 5 FireCom connection ports on the truck, 4 in the cab and one at the pump panel. The ladder has been UL tested and passed in 2009. Truck is in good shape. If you want pictures give me an email and I will send them. There is plenty more, just ask any question you want and I will get you the info.

afarrar@scottfire.org - my email address
My brand preference is not E-One after being around a couple of them and I have no experience with the LTI. There are people out there that hate these brands and people out there that love these brands. There are three things that I think are more important when buying a used piece of apparatus.
First, what condition is the truck in. Not just the paint but the entire truck. You need to have it inspected by a third party, not someone the seller employs, that is familiar with aerials. This is one of the most important things you can possibly do. If you buy the truck and start spending a nickle here, a dime there, it will cost you a lot more than what the inspection would have. What about pump and aerial annual certifications? If you are shooting for ISO points and get a truck that hasn't been tested for a couple years you will lose points. If you are getting this truck because you need an aerial those certification will help the evaluator determine what kind of shape the truck is actually in, regardless of looks.
Second, will this truck work for you? You have the measurements to ensure it fits in the station but what about compartments? Will it hold what you want it to. Don't buy a truck because it is the right size and price. Granted you are going with compartments somebody else spec'd out but if they don't work for you it will be frustrating until you get it replaced.
Third, what kind of warranty is on this truck? Inquire to companies that sell used trucks, I'm not sure what is "standard" if anything but you need to do your homework.
Our department got a 1987 refurbished E-One 80' stick in 2004. It had to be this truck because it fit in the station with about 16" to spare, front and rear combined. It serves the purpose and got us a second aerial to operate with and helped improve our ISO rating. It looked like there would be space galore on it but we had a hard time getting what we wanted to on it. It is also costing us in maintenance. Hopefully it will be replaced in a couple years but until then we have to live with it. Make sure you research your purchase so it works for you.
Good Luck,
Walt
I agree with Walt. Yes I am trying to sell our old aerial, but I just spent months researching every brand of aerial out there. We just took delivery of a new Ferrara 77' quint. So far we love it. It fits everything we need and then some. As for the different brands here are some things to think about.

1. Type of construction (Steel, Aluminum, Galvanized Steel)
2. Thickness of construction material
3. What type of ladder is it and the length
4. Rear mount vs. mid mount (we went from mid mount to rear mount)
5. General ease of operation of truck (some manufacturers use multiple outriggers for the same size aerial, why add more work for the same outcome)
These are just a few things to add to Walt statement. I hope you guys pick the right truck for your department. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I will help in any way possible.

Adam

Todd "Walt" Walton said:
My brand preference is not E-One after being around a couple of them and I have no experience with the LTI. There are people out there that hate these brands and people out there that love these brands. There are three things that I think are more important when buying a used piece of apparatus.
First, what condition is the truck in. Not just the paint but the entire truck. You need to have it inspected by a third party, not someone the seller employs, that is familiar with aerials. This is one of the most important things you can possibly do. If you buy the truck and start spending a nickle here, a dime there, it will cost you a lot more than what the inspection would have. What about pump and aerial annual certifications? If you are shooting for ISO points and get a truck that hasn't been tested for a couple years you will lose points. If you are getting this truck because you need an aerial those certification will help the evaluator determine what kind of shape the truck is actually in, regardless of looks.
Second, will this truck work for you? You have the measurements to ensure it fits in the station but what about compartments? Will it hold what you want it to. Don't buy a truck because it is the right size and price. Granted you are going with compartments somebody else spec'd out but if they don't work for you it will be frustrating until you get it replaced.
Third, what kind of warranty is on this truck? Inquire to companies that sell used trucks, I'm not sure what is "standard" if anything but you need to do your homework.
Our department got a 1987 refurbished E-One 80' stick in 2004. It had to be this truck because it fit in the station with about 16" to spare, front and rear combined. It serves the purpose and got us a second aerial to operate with and helped improve our ISO rating. It looked like there would be space galore on it but we had a hard time getting what we wanted to on it. It is also costing us in maintenance. Hopefully it will be replaced in a couple years but until then we have to live with it. Make sure you research your purchase so it works for you.
Good Luck,
Walt
We currently have a 1997 E-one 75' single rear axle quint. We run ours as a ladder truck so it only goes on commercial alarms in our district or structure fires were it may be needed. We have had some problems out of it but overall it is a good truck and we have been quite happy with it. My only suggestion is to make sure the truck you are buying has passed its 5 year test before you purchase it.
I don't have a lot of experience in specing out "trucks" but LTI is only a ladder manufacturer. They are presently owned by American LaFrance and are located in Epharta and Lebanon PA, not far from where I grew up. I know back in the 80's they also made some of their own fire trucks and my current VFD up here in Alaska has two tenders they made. Here is their website American LaFrance Aerials I would definitely look at going through an apparatus dealer or broker to buy a used truck. You will probably get a better piece of apparatus if you do. If you are seriously interested in the truck which Adam's dept is selling, the broker/dealer can look into buying the truck from them and then do a once over on it if you tell them you are interested in it and can also help you secure financing and other incidentals.

Just some food for thought brother.

Good luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service