Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I can see two sides of the use of helmet cams for fire dept usage. On the training side I can see where they could be an asset, where you could go over what was and wasn't done at the fire scene, in a rookie situation it would be nice to critique their performance. From a fire investigation side I can see how they could be useful to give investigators the full view of what things looked like, patterns, smoke, etc. I can also see how if not handled properly how they could hurt a dept or put them up for ridicule, i.e. guys putting up their shots on you tube with out permission from the dept. In those situations you all know as well as I how everyone likes to Monday morning quarter back the scene and in some cases just rip you a part.I have also been thinking of the legal side of it, do we really want lawyers to get their hands on our video's? Are we merely opening up Pandora's box? I have been weighing both sides of this idea and am still on the razors edge. So I am looking for your view points on this issue. Does the use of this technology really help us or does it hurt us?

Views: 1615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Far be it from me to stir the ole chili pot but...

I use the cam on every fire. It is an amazing tool for critiques and that is what it is used for. I don't post anything on YouTube out of respect for the person who's house or business caught fire. I do use the footage in classes I teach. Since I'm usually the one in the front yard, the footage quality is really pretty good. This has been a tremendous help in our critiques.

For the guys on interior, the footage has mixed results, it all depends on the visibility but we have had some instances where the interior footage coupled with the exterior footage made for a fantastic critique.

Brothers, lets not be afraid to use a good tool properly. Just my two cents.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service