Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I know there are departments that use PPV often and with great success. My problem is that many departments grab onto tactical techniques and methods and employ them without doing the research, background work and initial training. And then.....they don't deploy PPV within strictly established criteria and combine that with poor coordination and even worse communication. This is when firefighters are put in peril.

Those departments that use PPV successfully have done their homework, initial and ongoing training, deploy PPV according to established guidelines, closely coordinate the attack and communicate very well. There are many opportunities for things to go south if the above aspects are not followed. I am interseted in your thoughts, concerns, successes and failures. Additionally, I am looking for solid information on the various applications of PPV in different environments.

What I am really looking for is an open and honest discussion from the training perspective, and with a "common sense" approach.

Views: 1280

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah Scott
That's what I'm concerned with, that we work together. Like I say, can we make a mistake and have the fire come towards us if we passively vent the wrong way? Yes, but we usually have time to get things done or at least to get out.

Fire story - I was searching as a FF with a Lt. in an exposure. The main building was written off beacuse it was a large 3 story ballon frame and fully invovled, top to bottom. This fire was intense enough to come through a bedroom window on side 2/B and was traveling across the dinning room towards side 4/D. It eventually went on to break through those windows and expose the next building's blank brickwall. We entered into the kitchen of the second floor apartment at the rear, which at that point was the only vent h*** in the building except where the fire had made it inside.
Again, we were there to do a primary search w/ no hose line. The Lt stayed at the door to watch conditions as I made the search of the kitchen area. When I got to the hallway going to the dinning room, that room's smoke and heat was starting to churn on the ceiling. There were also little flickers of fire about 2 inches tall all over the linoleum covered hallway between the kitchen and dinning room. It was like a hundred of so large gas stove pilots, spaced about 2 inches on center across the floor.
Of course, I turned towards the bedroom off the kitchen, finished that room and we left to get a hose line. By the time we got back, of course the kitchen and the bedroom had flashed over even though we closed the outside doors when we left.
The point is we had time to make things happen even though the vent h*** was our entrance into the building. We would have been in trouble if there were three unconscious adults sleeping in the bedroom that had to be moved towards the outside because there was no door between the dinning room starting to flash and our position.
If the change in conditions is so quick that I get stuck, now what? I'm really talking about beofre the fire gets knocked down, not really after when we're clearing the building of cold smoke.
Here's the question can we coordinate this effectively enough to ensure that our members on the fire ground won;t get jazzed up? And if so how?
Art,
I couldn't agree with more. PPA is a very safe and effective means of performing a fire attack if you know what your doing. There has to be departmental buy in for the education and training to take place so that everyone knows what to do and what not to do. We have a sample SOP on our web site positivepressureattack.com that agencies starting the procedure should use. If it is followed they will be okay. They can get more in depth later.. Another good resource is the articles listed in the resource area of our web page. You can get them there fore free without joining any other web site.

Keep thinking and communicating as you have and we will all be better off.

Thanks
Kriss
Chief Garcia,

Glad to see you weigh in here. My contention with ventilation practices all along related to using a fan is that PPV and PPA are two different techniques. You have to have a solid foundation of fire behaviour before employing any ventilation practice. We approach use of fan similarly to what Scott was eluding to earlier in the post.
Gents,

I have been away in Phoenix have not been following-up on the posts. As usual, the Common Sense Firefighting group members and other interested parties have provided thoughtful, informed and interesting information on this topic.

I was considering posting a summary of this thread in the form of a Training Bulletin at some point. It is difficult to scroll through and take notes etc. I am intested in the group's thoughts on this. If it works out, I would be happy to follow-up with CSF Training Bulletins on other threads. Do you think that would be useful? Give me your thoughts.

Thanks,

Art
Chief Garcia,

Thanks for your reply, I will check your site and with your permission, post some of that info here. I was also planning on summarizing much of the good info that has been posted here as a "training bulletin" on this thread. Our goal is/should be, to get accurate info out there on important and sometimes controversial issues such as PPV and PPA.

Thanks again,

Art
Brick,

As usual, thanks for your reply. I was looking to get some good, accurate, informational material on this thread that members can use to gain a fuller understanding of PPV and PPA. As I said in the intro, I know of many departments that have and continue to have success using these techniques. However, I am also aware that there is a great deal of questionable info and a general misunderstanding of these techniques which often leads to their misapplication and on some occasions with disastrous results.

Thanks again for your participation,

Art
Guys,
The training bulletins and points for the uses and mis-uses of the techniques are great ideas. I'd certainly like to see them. I'm also going to look on the Kriss G's site again for the ways to apply it.
Gents,

As promised, I have added a Discussion Summary for the Positive Pressure Ventilation thread. I’ll post it HERE and on the PPV discussion post. I find it difficult to scroll and follow the discussions and I thought it might be easier to view the discussion in a Word document.

Take a look and let me know if it is helpful and if I/we should add this feature to some of the longer CSF group discussions.

Thanks to all of the CSF contributors who take of their time to pass-on valuable training information. This has been very helpful to me and I’m sure many other members have increased their knowledge base thanks to the CSF members.

Art
Attachments:
Thanks Chief
That is great in a word doc Art. I can print this off and take it to work and give our training officer, more to think about this winter for indoor and in the spring, outdoor training. Many of the discussions we have in CSF should be passed along to our members. The Fire Service is getting into a period of losing many years of experience and knowledge. We owe it to those who are the future in our business, to pass this knowledge along now, might keep them alive later.

Stay Safe
Jeff

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service