Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Looking for someone involved in a FAST/RIT TEAM rescue or recovery

I'm trying to find someone who has been involved in a rescue or recovery of a fellow firefighter. We train as a FAST team but I really feel the members do not have the true sense as to what the actual experience is like. I feel that we really don't realize how fast and critical time goes by when it is a rescue attempt and also, how emotional the situation is. Everything goes well during training. Anyone who care share some insight with us can contact me via email at HOLEIN1ML@aol.com. If anyone is willing to speak to us (we are in NJ) that would be great too.

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the input Matt. I'm glad to hear they may it out.
On April 9, 2006, I was involved in a Mayday situation, but it was not a "FAST/RIT" scenario. We were the first arriving truck at a 2 story wood frame structure with 60% involvement. I was FAO/Driver that day and once I was able to get the pump in operation I was assigned to take the second preconnect to the D side exposure. As I past the A/D corner I saw the 30 foot by 10 foot porch roof collapse on my fire attack group. I radioed to see if they were OK, and I saw my officer waving for me to come assist with a rescue. A firefighter was trapped underneath the roof. I returned to my apparatus to don PPE and call the MAYDAY report. As I did so, I saw my officer lift the roof with one hand as he pulled the trapped firefighter out from being pinned. If I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it.

He was trapped and pinned for approximately 2 minutes. He was unable to reach for anything. He said the only thing that helped him stay calm is that he knew we were coming. The firefighter sustained third degree burns at approximately 15% total body surface to his left shoulder, left butt cheek, and left leg. We drug him across the highway as the fire intensified. Amazingly enough, all he wanted to do is return to the firefight. His gear was crisp and he wanted to try again. After he wa taken to the burn center, my officer and I had to stay and complete the job. Our minds were elsewhere and all we could think about was going to be with him. The house was a total loss, but I believe the incident happened because what we didn't know was that the structure was being overhauled and remodeled and it was a trap to begin with. We did everything we were supposed to do by our training, but we couldn't help but second guess ourselves. There were other circumstances and events that took place that also lead to our feelings of inadequacy. It was a very difficult time in my career and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. It has changed me permanently.
Thanks for the input Kevin, I'm glad he was okay. Sounds like you guys did a great professional job.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service