Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of the best Tower Ladder Resources (ie Baker Aerialscope) in regard to the specification, purchase, training, operation, and strategies of using such apparatus?

Views: 382

Replies to This Discussion

Tim,

What kind of rig (short wheel base stick, dual axle bucket or TDA) are you looking at and what kind of structures and problem areas are you working on?  The training, ops and use can be pulled from another Departments like yours (there is a ton on this site), but specing and buying are very dependent on where you can get service and support, or should be.

Any info would help.

-You first need to identify your community needs/resources and limitations, specifically you need to know the stations limitations that will house the rig. Height of overhead doors, length of the bay and gross weight supported by the bay floor.

-Next, what are the limitations of the community? Bridges, train trestles, street limitations, etc.  Most departments are easily taken in with gigantic rigs that have huge aerial devices that far exceed their community needs.

-Having been on several committees that spec out ladder trucks I will offer this advice; short wheel base and a short chassis. Avoid the "gadget" mentality and things like "crab crawl or all steer", you'll be sorry in the end if you purchase these "boutique" items. Remember, most major urban departments operate 75' aerial ladders and 100' tower ladders. There are to many communities that have purchased 135' "sky arms" when the largest structure in town is a 3 story building.

-Stay with an American company that can get replacement parts to you asap, not coming from around the world. Or better still, a company that doesn't use "proprietary" parts. You want to be able to get parts at the local shop. 

-A personal preference is Seagrave and Sutphen, Pierce is just not what it once was since it became a publicly traded company... and they use all kinds of proprietary stuff that must be purchased only from them. The two aforementioned companies are smaller and place a heavy emphasis on customer service. 

-If you need more specifics with apparatus design please drop me a line. My colleges and I specialize in this matter as well as providing the entire training program including driving and operating the apparatus and the functions, SOP's and entire operation of the assigned personnel, including HOT training. 

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service