Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I know they aren't that new, but since the change, I've run into lots of other rescuers that have no idea that there were changes to some of the nailing patterns. And when I try to explain the reasons that I was told they were changed, they look at me like I'm on acid. I had the same problem with introducing the double t-spot shores. There needs to be a better way for people that might not be on USAR teams to get these updates. John, your book is a great source for info, but you wrote it before these changes, maybe its time for a second edition (LOL). I'm sure Sean is going to teach the new stuff out in Indy, but we need a way to get the word out to the whole rescue community, anyone have any ideas?

Views: 452

Replies to This Discussion

no they work fine actually make things alot easier especially when in confined areas. its just more stuff to carry....

John
ok as long as the wall is not leaning out a foot or two,,,,, which none will unless its tilt up. what happens is the wall plate bends for several inches. and as long as the wall plate is touching the wall and the sole plate is anchored properly, the stress on that connection does not enter into the strength of the raker. all of the wall forces should be applied to the face of the raker to the ground. we have slid rakers back upwards of 10 inches at 10ft insertion heigths without separating or over stressing the bottom connections. of course you do not want to slide the raker back too much to separate the joint at the bottom. in other words if you do not start tearing the joint apart its not an issue.
John
John
http://www.disasterengineer.org/index.shtml
Attached is the Disastor Engineering website that contains the Army Corps of Engineers F.O.G and S.O.G's, they are in print format so when viewing some of the pages are upside down, This offers some insight to the nailing pattern changes. It also contains other documents on lumber and an awareness level collapse program manual.

Hope this helps,
Sal

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service