Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I would like to ask you what you do for outrigger placement in terms of traction during times of snow & ice conditions on the ground in terms of outrigger foot traction.
We use to carry a bag of sand to spread around and now we carry a bag of de-icer crystals. What do you use/do, and furthermore, does your department have anything written in SOP's/SOG's/Policies concerning these operations.

Brrrrrrrrrr! It's cold out there.

Views: 2435

Replies to This Discussion

Would really like to see some discussion on this.  We just experienced some severe cold weather in Atlanta, GA and several questions were asked on if aerials can/should be raised on ice/snow.  After serving several years on departments in Michigan, Massachuesetts & Virginia I have a little knowledge on this.

I don't think that there should be any question on if an aerial can be raised on ice/snow.  The answer is yes, in most cases, with steep slopes or grades being the possible exception.  If you are on a solid surface, such as asphalt or concrete, go with bare feet (no ground pads), other situations are judgemental based on conditions.  Either sand or salt works, each in it's own way.  Salt can melt the ice but will refreeze when washed or melted away.  Sand provides some additional friction for the pads but given the weight on the pads and that the majority of the force (gravity) acting on the pads is down, it is really negligible.  I have found that a combination of the two works the best, with a 2or3:1 mix of sand to salt. The weight of the apparatus should give all the traction you need, but the operator needs to be constantly monitoring any movement, as always, and adjust use & tactics accordingly.

Needless to say, being in the (normally) sunny south, our department doesn't address this in our policies or guidelines. 

It is also very important that the snow and ice conditions that are under and/or near the outriggers be monitored for melting which will of course affect how much surface area of the outrigger pad is actually in contact with the road surface underneath and around the outrigger pad. Diesel exhaust dishcharging from other nearby apparatus can also melt snow and ice under and around outrigger pads. 
We have rock salt we pour under the outrigger pads to help stabalize and cut down on slipping

We use rock salt under our outrigger pads as well but I have worked at a dept. a few years back that used sand.  Both worked well.    We are also testing an ice cleat this year as well we have tried some in the past didn't work out.  Been a lot of positive feedback so far.  It's the Spiky and Spiky Plus model.  They have industrial special pricing if you buying for the whole department just need to contact them.  Heres their link www.spiky.com  

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service