Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hi, we are wanting to start a heavy rescue and have a rescue committee started to do this. We are a union job with 145 members covering a population of approx. 55,000 residents. We have 6 engines staffed with 3, 2 ladders with staffed with 4 and 3 squads (ambulances) staffed with 2. We currently have 8 firehouses. we have a hazmat truck with enclosed trailer that can make state responses, but only staffed when needed by on and off duty staff. Hazmat is currently the only " rescue" or non rescue fuction. We have some equipment and limited training. We are trying to sell it to our administration to staff a rescue with 4. If you have any information that could help us make this a reality I would be greatful. Thanks Doug

Views: 86

Replies to This Discussion

We have just completed a feasibility study to merge our fire department and another here in Colorado. From a technical rescue standpoint, I am very optimistic about this. I manage our departments TRT and we currently cross staff our Rescue 3 with an engine company. If the departments merge there is a much higher likelihood that our hard staffing proposal will go through. We proposed staffing Rescue 3 with an officer, engineer and two firefighters, one of which a FF/PM. The other two apparatus in the station would be a Quint with three and a Medic (Ambulance that carries two firefighters, one of which (minimum) is a paramedic as well. I will try and upload the part of the study myself and the team manager from the other department did to give you an idea.

I will tell you that any time you use the words regional and all-hazards you tend to get a little more attention and support. Look at ways to make it a regional resource. Lending a hand to the Brothers ans Sisters of smaller or less fortunate departments around you garners support as well.

One more thing, I posted some startup comments under the technical rescue group, check that one out as well...

BE SAFE...Scott
Thanks Scott, great informaton. We are trying to make this a regional response rescue unit. There is some money being given by the state of Indiana to each district ( ours is made of, 7 counties) that we may get some, but not much from. Our goal is to have it staffed with 4 and i think will get 2. We are also working the ave that it will be in a combination house with a ladder that carries four, and at least two of those members will be cross trained. If you have anything else please let me know. Doug

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service