Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

When is it time to call addtional HazMat help?

Views: 182

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent Commnet Brother! Why do you think that some People wait longer than they should?
Or do you think it is because of the lack of HazMat Education?
Your on the ball BRO! I think the majority of the times it is due to the lack of education. Here in Ohio the State has forced us to renew our Fire cards every three years. Yes there is a lot of complaints but we did this to ourselves. We thought a 36 hour fire card with no training was fine for the last 30 years. We need to train! If we remember to train will be safe and training will save lives
Great Bro! In Ohio I have to do over 100 hours every 3 years for fire and 40 hours for EMT every 3 years. I am a HAzMat Instructor so I have to do an addtional 10 every year. I train and teach a lot! But I also learn a lot too!
I would love copies of your skill sheets! I have the State of Oho Booklet but new ones will always work! I love to train and I train a lot while I am on duty my district reveices about 1500 runs a year and we have plenty of time to train!
I agree totally!! Again, everything is predicated on the basics. A basic knowledge of Haz-Mat will help the company officer in his size up to know when to call for help. Because haz-mat isn't as exciting as a good fire not much effort is put into learning what you need to know to be proficient at dealing with it. Heck, we have officers in my department who don't know how to use an ERG!! I think that is why I get so frustrated
I undeerstand what your saying brother, my guys always have reminders on how to use the ERG every 3rd day. I am nice enough to provide them for them.
If I may, One issue we had was the Officers were worried about the traveling circus. They felt that we would have 40 guys showing up all in personal vehicles and becoming a circus for the media. (Our team is 15 departments but when an activation occurs people respond from home if they are off duty) That is obviously not the case. What we did was divide the team into three equal smaller teams and you respond when it is your week for a Level 1. All level 2's respond with all available members, and Level 3 involves what maybe multiple teams.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service