Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Brothers and sisters, I've got a Captains assessment center next week.  Any and all ideas on possible interview questions/answers to look for would be greatly appreciated.  Our assessment center is two days. Group discussion, Hot Seat, written exercise, 3000 word research paper, 10 minute power point presentation on the resaerch paper and structured interview.  Can't wait to drink lots of beer after this...

Views: 10499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brother, you've been in the hot seat before to get where you are now. Essentially beginning again at a higher level so think about things like officer development, mentoring younger officers and firefighters around you, tons more supervisory roles and tasks to include budgetary items. Lot more command roles probably because they expect it out of their higher officers to groom them to take over BC/AC jobs one day. You will see a lot more of this in Fire Officer III. Any good officer knows that they are training the person below them to take their job over one day. So look for questions based on things that would be a daily situation for captains in your department.

Not sure what they might throw at anyone in an assessment these days. Hope you have a controversial topic for your research paper like budgets and brownouts. Think about what steps you and your crew could do to save the department money like on energy savings at the stations, on overtime, preventing injuries to save workman's comp money. How to train personnel with minimal training funds and so on. These are all things facing most departments in America today and looks to be that way in the future.

Find a Captain and ask them to mentor you and help with some of this.

Good luck brother

KTF
Thanks a lot Brother!

Brad Hoff said:
Brother, you've been in the hot seat before to get where you are now. Essentially beginning again at a higher level so think about things like officer development, mentoring younger officers and firefighters around you, tons more supervisory roles and tasks to include budgetary items. Lot more command roles probably because they expect it out of their higher officers to groom them to take over BC/AC jobs one day. You will see a lot more of this in Fire Officer III. Any good officer knows that they are training the person below them to take their job over one day. So look for questions based on things that would be a daily situation for captains in your department.

Not sure what they might throw at anyone in an assessment these days. Hope you have a controversial topic for your research paper like budgets and brownouts. Think about what steps you and your crew could do to save the department money like on energy savings at the stations, on overtime, preventing injuries to save workman's comp money. How to train personnel with minimal training funds and so on. These are all things facing most departments in America today and looks to be that way in the future.

Find a Captain and ask them to mentor you and help with some of this.

Good luck brother

KTF
Brother - I went through the process a little more than a year ago. My department used a promotional interview in which I sat before 3 Chiefs from different departments in my area. The questions asked were varied and did not hit upon many "fire" related issues like there were in my Lieutenant's exam. Most of the questions centered on management issues, developing SOP's/SOG's, input into the department budget, and training. My panel was looking beyond the fireground. As the Captain is at the level just below upper management (Asst.Chief, Dep. Chief & Chief) they wanted to see the "manager" side of the position not the "firefighter" side.
You might also reach out to those who have been through the process you describe. Valuable information can also be found in those who did not pass that type of evaluation. You gain a better insight from those candidates. I hope this helps. Best of Luck!!
Glen Murray, Captain WSFD
Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Glen Murray said:
Brother - I went through the process a little more than a year ago. My department used a promotional interview in which I sat before 3 Chiefs from different departments in my area. The questions asked were varied and did not hit upon many "fire" related issues like there were in my Lieutenant's exam. Most of the questions centered on management issues, developing SOP's/SOG's, input into the department budget, and training. My panel was looking beyond the fireground. As the Captain is at the level just below upper management (Asst.Chief, Dep. Chief & Chief) they wanted to see the "manager" side of the position not the "firefighter" side.
You might also reach out to those who have been through the process you describe. Valuable information can also be found in those who did not pass that type of evaluation. You gain a better insight from those candidates. I hope this helps. Best of Luck!!
jerry said:
Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Training interview questions
Tks again and pls keep posting.

Glen Murray said:
On my oral boards I had:
1) You have 250' of 2.5" hose, 2, 1.75" hand lines flowing 125 GPM operating on the 7th floor using a variable stream and a smooth bore nozzle, what is your engine discharge pressure
2) You realize @ shift change that there is a need for overtime, what do you do?
3)What does NFPA 1500 mean to you? How does it effect your safety?
4) describe your goals for the department if you are promoted
5) What are the NFPA color codes for hydrants, what are the flows for each color and how would it effect your decision making
6) EMS questions

I dont remember the other questions, as always, the what are your weaknesses, what are your strengths. How do you resolve conflict in the firehouse (Shifts eating each others food, coffee dues and so on), worst day on the job/best day on the job and why.

The Chief's for my interview were pretty laid back and didnt set a tense atmosphere, that really helped.

GOOD LUCK, you are stepping into the hardest job, between the Chiefs and the Indians, but I still love it!

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

Interview questions is important. I have got some my experience about it. I believe that it's wonderful.

Apart from that, you also can ref more resources at: Firefighter interview questions and answers

Goodluck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service