Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Just wanting to know if anyone has any input on a recruitment program I’m preparing to start up in my department. What I am wanting to start is working with the school districts in my area and seeing if they will provide a list of graduating high school students so we can send them congratulation/recruitment letters when they graduate. We are a 100% volunteer department that is running into the nationwide problem of participation out of our members. I’m sure that this will not solve the worlds problems when it comes to increasing volunteer participation but I think it is a start. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dan

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just a thought, but instead of asking the schools to release personal information of the students, maybe ask to give the graduating seniors a presentation towards the end of their school year. Present all the benefits of the job and discuss any questions they may have about joining the dept. Teens tend to be more open to these ideas if they are in a group setting. If you can get the trend setter in the class to go, many will follow. Also, many schools are open to cadet programs or internships as a part of their elective course work in school. Good Luck. We all need it.
Thanks Tom, I appreciate all of your input and ideas. We are just trying to figure something out that is pro active towards recruitment at a young age. the only hang up we have is that both school districts in our area are located in other departments jurisdictions so there is sertain way we need to go about it so we don't step on anyones toes. I think maybe working with the other departments might be the way to approach this. Thank you for all your input.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service