Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Photo from http://www.cressonafire.com/photos.htm
Decision Time!
This is an incident that could turn out to be very interesting.

This is going to address the use of back up lines and when they are deployed.

I had an interesting conversation about assignments, as you could tell from the previous post.

This discussion circled around the deployment of the second apparatus on the scene. This is not a metro response where engines do engine work and so on. Rather, this is where the second in unit is assigned upon arrival.

With this picture in mind, what does your second in unit do? Does it backup the first in crew with a hand line? Does it perform ventilation? Just where do you order this second in crew and what are the tactical priorities?

I believe that there is a time and situation for using the second in unit for a back up line, but not automatically just because they are the second unit there.

What do you think and why? You gave some great insight into run procedures, so I know there will be some great conversation on this one.

Stay low and be safe.

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This house looks like it was designed to mess w/ a truck Company. Power lines block an Aerial and slopes and first floor roof lines block ground ladders. All bad things, because this house needs to be vented right now.
Second engine makes sure the first line has a water supply. Second engine would be a truck, open this thing up quick or ask for some additional quints, where I’m from, might be doing that anyway. This a job that if that first line doesn’t go heavy, we’re going to lose this one. Granted I don’t have the whole picture, but if I’m comitting my members to the interior firefight, the bigger the line and placing it correctly the better. Hopefully that second engine or quint can operate as a truck company flawlesly, again this goes back to knowing your city and training!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service