Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Here is a short but good video from our friends at Brotherhood Instructors and Urban Firefighter Magazine on taking the window.

Do yourself and those inside a favor, take the entire window.

Train and stay safe.

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How often do we all see the front picture window of a house fire, with a nice h*** in the middle and glass all around it. Improper venting guys, Like video shows take the whole window, if breaking the glass is needed. We have to open up, so take an extra few seconds to do it right! It might mean life or death if a Brother gets jammed up. After the fire is knocked, try to open the window before doing more damage, by breaking glass, I like doing it too, but it can boost our rep with the public, think about it!

Stay Safe!
Jeff
Glass is cheap, our lives are not nor are those still inside! It's understandable to vent windows and in the few seconds it takes to do it correctly. We need to be tactful in in window selection and not to take every window if we don't need to is common sense. I think it's easier to explain why we took out windows at a fire than to explain to someones family why a brother or someone in the home died. The insurance company will pay for the damages to the structure!

In all that we do, it should be to do it right everytime and make it count!

Thanks for posting this Jason!
-I've been saying this for years. Take the entire window.
-Breaking one pane is vandalism, taking the entire is professional firefighting.
Very well put brother Bricault
That's a great saying. Thanks for you input.

Michael Bricault said:
-I've been saying this for years. Take the entire window.
-Breaking one pane is vandalism, taking the entire is professional firefighting.
Brick does have a way with words. If you're going to any job on the fireground whether it be vent a window or stretch a line, do it right, others depend on it being done right the first time, we don't get do overs in our line of work!

Stay Safe
Jeff

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service