Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Good Day all,

I hope the holiday season finds all of you well!

Through this discussion I hope to find/discover some names or contacts to those who do an outstanding presentation on fire service leadership... responsibility... tradition... safety... etc etc and so on. It is our primary focus to really improve our department’s officer core and those who intend to make the move from firefighter to fire officer.

So what or who is out there that you feel is very beneficial…??

Thanks for your help!

Shawn

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well Chief John Salka FDNY and Chief Rick Lasky from Lewisville are two of the top we hear about all the time. I have been to several lectures by both and I learn something new each time. There are so many others I can name as well and if you can find the funds to get any one of them there and if they have an opeing within the next year or so. Otherwise I would look from within your local area to other departments or within the state or neighboring ones for people who would be motivated to show up and meet your training schedule needs who meet the criteria you are wanting to pass on to the new and up and coming officers. It is a good idea to also start an officer mentoring core training program. This in time will help you provide your future and current officers with a self paced task booklet that is fair and equal to all and can measure their progress.

Good luck and stay safe
Billy Goldfeder does a great presentation, Chief Lasky also does a great one too. I'll second what Brad said, start your own mentoring program. This way you can put your own department's ideas, policies and SOG's/SOP's into it. It'll also be a great way to get the members involved in the direction your department is heading and possibly give them a sense of "Pride & Ownership" in "their" department. Good luck and keep on training!!

Merry Christmas to all!!
Thanks for your input guys! I appreciate your help here. You both have spoken on a mentoring program, this would be something new for our fire department, do you know of a program that works well or a department that has a good one to use and build off of….???
I will see if I can find a copy of one of our officer task booklets. We have levels 1 for entry firefighters to level 4 for master firefighters. We don't have one really for engineers because each apparatus category has a task booklet for them and then also the officer task booklet.

Mentoring is and has always been an important part in the fire service whether it is verbal or written. It takes time and effort but will pay huuge dividdnds to the individuals and to the department in the future if it is well thought out, executed and re-evaluated over time.

Good luck, Stay safe and Merry Christmas
Hey Brad If you find a copy of that. Could I also get a copy PLEASE Thanks in advance
patriotgci@roadrunner.com
Brad Hoff said:
I will see if I can find a copy of one of our officer task booklets. We have levels 1 for entry firefighters to level 4 for master firefighters. We don't have one really for engineers because each apparatus category has a task booklet for them and then also the officer task booklet.

Mentoring is and has always been an important part in the fire service whether it is verbal or written. It takes time and effort but will pay huuge dividdnds to the individuals and to the department in the future if it is well thought out, executed and re-evaluated over time.

Good luck, Stay safe and Merry Christmas

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service