Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am working on putting together some rope rescue equipment for my department’s truck company. We have a fair amount of equipment now that is spread out over three apparatus, the DC wants to consulate the equipment on the truck co. since we have recently began staffing it full time.

I’m looking for recommendations on what equipment we should carry on the truck co. to set up two independent systems and any other advice that you might want to share.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Law

Views: 379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mike
Give Rescue Response Gear a call. 888-600- 9116.
www.rescueresponse.com

Have a great day.

Lance
Hey Brother Mike,

I read your post and would like to offer some assistance.

I work for the Charlotte Fire Dept. in N.C. , Having been assigned to Ladder 1 in uptown for 13 years we have had rope equipment on our rig for 15 years. The equipment we carry is enough to handle most low level and some high angle stuff.

We carry:

3- 200' 1/2 static kernmantle (1- for main line, 1 for belay, 1 for 4:1 pre-rigged M/A
15-steel D-rings (large)
20+ pieces of 1" tubular webbing assorted size
6-single sheaved steel 4" pulleys
5- Rescue 8's
2- petzel micro Ascenders
4 class II harnesses
and a bunch of other stuff
I’m sure you have thought about all this equipment a hundred times. I think the most important part that is often over looked is staffing. Having well trained people on your rig. They to need to be able to think outside the box and complete the task safely. The importance of having good rope guys along with the other guys that can tie their knots proficiently. Training on rope rescue is something you have got to do or you will lose these skills. Being able to know when to call for help early on in the incident. I also like the failure acronym. When it comes to HTR your team makes all the difference in a successful job or one we will read about in close calls.
Make sure the rope is tagged clearly. Life safety rope is used only for that! You don’t want to be hanging on utility rope! OR rope some one thought was utility rope drug through some %$#@ you don’t know about. You have a good list going. You may want to consider these things as well.
2 rigging Racks
2 8 plates
at least 2 4" double pullys
Assortment of prusik loops
Stokes baskets
Stokes rig
10 25 foot 2" tubular webbing
Several pieces carpet remnants (edge pro) go to Lowes/ Home Depot tell them you need the sample pieces
Duck tape 2 rolls (More If you’re on my truck )
At least two prettied load releasing hitches (Hokie or Mariners)
A few different size rigging straps.
Pre tying a 4 to 1 haul back system come in really handy ( flip it over you go a 5 to 1)
Hope this helps head you in the right direction.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service