Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hi Everyone,

I am working on a show for the NAT GEO CHANNEL that involves cutting a fire truck literally in half lengthwise and through the cross-section we reveal the different systems inside (ladder hydraulics, tanks, pumps, engine, etc) and go into more detail about each.

I have had a hard time trying to find any photos or video of futuristic or new concepts for fire apparatus. Something between now and the Jetsons.

Most of what I have heard is that the fighting community is super traditional--concepts or designs for new of apparatus just aren't something the culture is interested in. This can't be true. Is it?

If anyone has a lead as to where I could find fire apparatus futurists please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

John Watkins
jwatkins@origprod.com

Views: 460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's not that we don't like new, cool stuff. Apps cost a bunch and few can afford to push the envelope past the sticky part. Getting stuck with what seems like a great idea that didn't work out would take forever to live down. That's why stuff like CAFS took YEARS to work through the proccess of Departments trying and testing before it became the industry standard.

If you want weird firefighting, check out the guys that want to use dry chem in a Metel Storm launcher. That is out there.
i heard the pierce is coming out with a new hybrid fire engine in 2010/2011. and i guess rumor has it it may be showing sometime soon. I forget what conference it was going to be showing at. maybe you should try getting ahold of pierce and see if they could give you more info on the new line of products.
John,
Here is a link to Freightliner website. They have a Hybrid cab and chassis that, I believe, E-One fire apparatus is considering to use for Heavy Rescue.

http://www.freightlinertrucks.com/trucks/find-by-model/m2e-hybrid/

Hope this can lead you down the right path

Jeremy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service