Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

If you are up on Auto Extrication do feel ree to put in your comments. being a proactive extrication Facilitator is always a task. I have always said that the only thing consistent in the automotive industry is change. You always have to be on your game with new car tech if not you will be left in the dark very quick with some of the new changes that are taking place now. After being in the service for 15 years I feel I am still in a learning stage with Auto Extrication. Just because of the constent change in the market not to mention things have taken a drastic change from the way we used to cut up cars.

Views: 196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Having been an Extrication instructor for approx. 17 years i have learned from the best this guy unfortunatly he is unable to teach any more but the Tennessee Association of Rescue Squad's has kept up with the new airbags and the vehicle anatomy so i feel priviledged to be a member of this organization and continuous advancement in vehicle extrication.
I think at the rate the automobiles are changing, if you're no longer consider yourself in the "learning stage" you're likely not being safe. My FD doesn't do nearly the number of extrications we used to due to most adjacent dept's getting their own tools, so many more of us are out there with less experience. Less calls generally means less focus from the training side. This is a slippery slope with a dangerous end. We find that while we struggled to stay abreast of changes, while balancing numerous other training tracts, far fewer EMS agencies around us know anything about new vehicle technology. Most EMS or Fire agencies that do not have their own tools, fail to stay up on new features, putting them on the barrel end of the loaded gun.
Hi Chief
Just to say that is great that you are very proactive it sounds like. I take quite a bit of time just to dedicate to constant change of the industry. If you want to talk more feel free to reply. Maybe we talk more into new car tech or whatever is on your mind.

Play Hard Train Safe!!
Pete

Chief Harold Eaton said:
Having been an Extrication instructor for approx. 17 years i have learned from the best this guy unfortunatly he is unable to teach any more but the Tennessee Association of Rescue Squad's has kept up with the new airbags and the vehicle anatomy so i feel priviledged to be a member of this organization and continuous advancement in vehicle extrication.
Hi Adam
The first thing that comes to mind is liability from a rescuer stand point.I feel that the only way to stay active and up todate with new car tech is to get out there and take some time at car dealerships and grab a handful of vehicle flyers.
These flyers are great ice breakers for a new training class and they do not cost a cent. These flyers have a great deal of SRS info as well as side impact boron bars and ROPS as well.
If you want to talk more feel free to shoot me a reply.

Play Hard Train Safe !!
Pete

Adam Miceli said:
I think at the rate the automobiles are changing, if you're no longer consider yourself in the "learning stage" you're likely not being safe. My FD doesn't do nearly the number of extrications we used to due to most adjacent dept's getting their own tools, so many more of us are out there with less experience. Less calls generally means less focus from the training side. This is a slippery slope with a dangerous end. We find that while we struggled to stay abreast of changes, while balancing numerous other training tracts, far fewer EMS agencies around us know anything about new vehicle technology. Most EMS or Fire agencies that do not have their own tools, fail to stay up on new features, putting them on the barrel end of the loaded gun.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service