Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Need information on part time FF's replacing career FF's

Is anyone aware of a department that is and always has been an all career department but now because of the economy, the city has hired part time FF's to reduce costs? My department is 105 career personnel and an IAFF local. Our mayor is proposing legislation that will put part time FF's on our staff.

If you have any information on a similar circumstance, I would be interested in hearing from you.

I am not talking about existing combination departments or departments transitioning from volunteer to part time or part time to full time.

Thanks,

Bryan

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bryan,
I'm not familiar with your situation, but it sounds difficult. I think it is important to define what you and your members provide to the public. This not only means what you do on the street, but levels of knowledge, training, and experience. This is easy to do if you have well defined training rquirements and well maintained training records. This way you can point out the differences between your members and potential part time employees. Check your collective bargaining agreement and with a labor lawyer as this may not be legal. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Thanks for the reply. We're not sure what the mayor has in mind. A a recent council meeting he was unable to answer questions from councilmembers whether the part timers would be called in as needed to reduce over time or scheduled as a part of the crew. I'll have our union e board check the state laws on substitutions, thats a good point.
The union is very much involved and I'm just trying to gain whatever info I can to help as this is new to all of us. We can't find any other city (so far) in Ohio. Thanks again for the help.

Bryan
so we 'Jay VandeBerg said:
Is your department looking to supplement the career union personnel with part timers? Or is your department changing existing career positions to part time through attrition or layoffs? I would suggest talking to your steward or union leadership, as they should be addressing the issue if it affects your career positions. There are laws in certain states pertaining to "substitutions" or replacing full time sworn personnel with part time, contract or volunteer. The State of Illinois has a "substitutes" bill. This may have also been outlined in your collective bargaining agreement. (if you have one)

Otherwise, I will put my feelers out for you and try and get any information I can.
Thanks for the reply Chris. We are doing many of the things you listed.Our position, as is the chiefs, is they must undergo the same training for any new hire, regardless of experience. Currently, even if you have your firefighting 1 and 2 certification and paramedic, certification, you must undergo a 8 week orientation program to our department. This is done on a 40 hr. work week schedule where probies spend time at each station, learn the streets, buildings, equipment, SOP's and are tested on our EMS protocols as well as become current in ACLS, ITLS, and PALS. All this before they even hit the streets on a shift. The city seems to think you interview today and they start on the trucks tomorrow.
Three years ago we hired two guys with over 6 years each from Cleveland Fire and they were subject to the same probationary orientation as everyone else.

Thaks,
Bryan

Chris Fleming said:
Bryan,
I'm not familiar with your situation, but it sounds difficult. I think it is important to define what you and your members provide to the public. This not only means what you do on the street, but levels of knowledge, training, and experience. This is easy to do if you have well defined training rquirements and well maintained training records. This way you can point out the differences between your members and potential part time employees. Check your collective bargaining agreement and with a labor lawyer as this may not be legal. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service