Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I see the need for predesignated anchor points for swiftwater rescue, especially in concrete spillways. Like all of our "jobs", time is the critical factor and having preset anchors can only speed things up, right? This would be a preplanned site specific anchor where we are able to set up systems and prepare for and affect a rescue rapidly. A "GO TO" point when staging resources along the banks waiting for your victim to float past. No different then knowing where your FDC's on a specific builiding in your district are.... Wondering if anyone has any experience/pros/cons of preset anchor points for swiftwater rescue? What sort of maintenance/inspection is involved? Any success/horror stories? Thanks

Views: 250

Replies to This Discussion

I think you need to have certain points pre-determined but remember if the area in question is always in a situation where things can go wrong. Then it just might do so. I know that the City of Niagara Falls Canada has a net which goes across the hydro canal which is swift water. This net assists the victims in need of help as well as the rescuers. They are always plucking victims out. The problem is by the time you are notified and set up as you state the person may have gone by already.
Thanks Wayne, I agree with you having the possibilities of things going wrong at specific sites. I think that it would be important to have multiple anchors available at the site as well as 100 or so yards down stream to pick up pieces. Not only for the victims safety but could be a major advantage for rescuer safety as well. This also would be valuable for downstream backups. It would give you a point that incoming support companies could go to build there systems and prepare for what is coming... I think LA County has prerigged anchors that they can adjust to certain water levels I would be interested in more info if anyone has any. Thanks-

Wayne Benner Jr (Casper) said:
I think you need to have certain points pre-determined but remember if the area in question is always in a situation where things can go wrong. Then it just might do so. I know that the City of Niagara Falls Canada has a net which goes across the hydro canal which is swift water. This net assists the victims in need of help as well as the rescuers. They are always plucking victims out. The problem is by the time you are notified and set up as you state the person may have gone by already.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service